'Person Of Interest' Identified In Redwine Case

By  | 

A person of interest has been identified in the Dylan Redwine case.

Dylan was just 13 years old when he disappeared from his father's home outside Durango just before Thanksgiving in 2012. His remains were found along a rural road in the San Juan National Forest in June 2013, seven months after he vanished. Middle Mountain Road is frequently used for hiking and off-roading, but is rendered inaccessible in winter months due to snow. Dylan's body was found after dozens of law enforcement and search and rescue personnel combed the mountain over a five-day period looking for clues previously hidden by snow.

The La Plata County Sheriff's Office told 11 News that new evidence was discovered after two recent searches near the location where Dylan's remains were found two year earlier. Investigators worked with Pete Klismet, a former FBI profiler from Colorado Springs.

Klismet told 11 News he can not reveal the name of the person of interest, but investigators have made contact with him or her. They are not ready to call this "person of interest" a suspect until they do more searching for evidence on Middle Mountain Road near where Dylan's body was found.

Klismet added he's done a number of cases like this in the past and he's never been wrong--and says he's not wrong now.

11 News talked to Dylan's aunt Wednesday night. She told us his mom left her Monument home earlier Wednesday for Vallecito. She says investigators did not tell the family who their "person of interest" is. We asked the sheriff's office if it was someone they had in mind all along or if it was a new person, but they wouldn't say.

According to his father, Mark Redwine, Dylan was still home the morning of Nov. 19, 2012 when Mark went to run some errands. He was gone when Mark returned four hours later. Dylan's mother, who was already living in Monument at the time, reported him missing later that day.

Hundreds of people assisted with search efforts in the weeks following Dylan's disappearance, but no leads were found. Winter arrived soon after, hindering efforts until the snowfall melted.

Investigators say the place where Dylan's remains were found was not a place he would have gone on his own.

"Dylan had a very set routine. He was a very communicative fellow on the Internet and Twitter with his friends. And he had very specific definite plans with his friends and he never showed up for that...it's totally unlike Dylan."

At this time, the La Plata County Sheriff's Office is not releasing the name of their "person of interest" and no suspects have been named in Dylan's murder.

The family says their top priority is seeking justice for Dylan and peace for their family.