Jury Finds Detra Farries Guilty

Detra Farries heads into court on January 25

A jury has found Detra Farries guilty of manslaughter, vehicular homicide, leaving the scene of a deadly accident and eight others.

The jury began deliberating during the final two hours on Thursday, exactly one year after Allen Rose was dragged to his death. The six men and six women completed their verdicts after a full day of work Friday.

Leaving the scene of a deadly accident carries the longest sentence, over 20 years in prison.

During the verdict, Farries wore a shirt emblazoned with the message, "Only God can judge me."

Lead prosecutor Jeff Lindsey commented on the result after the verdict was read saying, " I dont think any trial ever has a prediction or confidence in a particular outcome, but definetly pleased with the verdict . I think its the right verdict and a just verdict."

Lindsey also talked briefly about the witnesses his team called to the stand.

"Those people that came to Mr. Roses aid, those people should be commended because they did everything they could to help him. I cant emphasize enough how much it reinforces my belief in the community and the goodness of people in general who cared so much about somebody they didnt know."

With their closing arguments, the prosecution urged the jury to place the blame squarely on Detra Farries. They showed pieces of evidence, including a graphic photo of Rose's injuries.

Farries never took the stand during her trial. Instead, the defense opted to play a recording of her interview with police.

After learning what had happened, the recording showed Farries breaking down. She sobbed, saying “oh no, oh God no, I cannot have this on my heart.”

The prosecution's case involved more than 50 witnesses. The testimony progressed from what was found after the dragging, to witnesses who said they saw it in progress. It ended with additional testimony about the evidence.

The jury was also taken on a field trip to the streets where the dragging occurred. During that visit, a group of officers blocked off the roads near Platte and Murray, and other officers flanked the jury’s bus during the trip. The SUV and tow truck were parked in the area and jurors were allowed to look at the area they've been hearing about for the past eight days. Rose's boots were also laid out along the path where police reported finding them after they fell off.

The bus carrying the jury was escorted along the route Rose was allegedly dragged. During the tour, the memorial for Allen Rose was covered up so as to not unfairly influence the jury.

Throughout the trial, and the earlier proceedings, the defense spent significant amounts of time focused on recordings of witness interviews that were lost by the police department. The judge previously ruled that the defense is allowed to question the integrity of the investigation because of those missing recordings.

When officers and detectives involved with losing the recordings were on the stand, the attorneys questioned them about procedures used to write the surviving transcripts and attempts to recover the missing recordings. When the witnesses involved were on the stand, attorneys asked them about changes in their testimony.

You can follow our trial notes by keeping an eye on our twitter account, @kktv11news.

Detra Farries heads into court on January 25