Smoking Leads To Apartment Fire, Leaves Man With Burn Injuries

A Springs man is lucky to be alive after his apartment caught fire in the wee hours of Monday morning--with him inside.

The fire broke out just after 12:30 a.m. in an apartment building on the 1900 block of S. Chelton. The Fire Department says the fire was caused by careless smoking, though they didn't elaborate further.

The victim has been hospitalized with first and second-degree burns, which could take as much as a month to recover from. The fire rendered the apartment unlivable due to smoke and water damage.

.