Garage Fire In Pueblo West Ignites Via Spontaneous Combustion

Credit: Pueblo West Fire Twitter

Oily rags were tossed away carelessly Wednesday night, causing a small explosion in a garage.

The Pueblo West fire chief says the rags were thrown into a garbage bag and spontaneously combusted, starting a fire. No one was home at the time, but witnesses noticed the fire and called the Pueblo West Fire Department. Firefighters arrived at the home on the 500 block of Watermelon just after 8:15 p.m. and were able to extinguish the fire before it spread to the home.

Though the fire was contained to the garage, the fire chief says it still caused about $50,000 in damages.