Missing Man Found Safe In Pueblo

Credit: KCNC

Paul Kitterman, whose disappearance during last week's Broncos game attracted nationwide attention, is reportedly surprised at all the hubbub.

Kitterman, 53, was found Tuesday night in Pueblo after vanishing without a word five days earlier. He had last been seen at halftime during the Oct. 23 Broncos game leaving his seat in Section 230 of Sports Authority Field at Mile High. He and his stepson, Jarod Tonneson, had traveled 100 miles to watch the Broncos face off against the San Diego Chargers. Tonneson said his stepfather went to meet friends between halves--and never came back.

Prior to locating Kitterman, Denver police spokesman Sonny Jackson said police were considering the possibility that Kitterman left his on his own.

“Adults have free will and free choice, and there’s no crime against going missing,” Jackson told sister station KCNC.

That's exactly what Pueblo police say Kitterman did--he reportedly left on his own accord after getting "his fill of football." Police tell 11 News Kitterman walked and hitchhiked to Pueblo. Kitterman told authorities he went to Pueblo because he was "looking for a warmer place."

Pueblo police told 11 News Wednesday morning that Kitterman was visiting his friend's ex-wife in Pueblo. Someone spotted him at the K-Mart off Highway 50 West in Pueblo and called police to report it.

Tonneson said his stepfather wasn't drunk at the game, having had just a few beers in as many hours; nor did he have any health issues or personal problems. Kitterman didn't have much money on him; in their haste to get to the game on time, Tonneson said Kitterman left his credit cards at home and took very little cash. Kitterman also forgot his phone.

Tonneson stayed at the stadium until 1:30 a.m. Friday. He says he searched the entire facility, called local hospitals and detox centers, and posted fliers all over Denver. The family created a Facebook page so they could get the word out about his disappearance. The story was picked up by media outlets across the country.

On the "Help Find Paul Kitterman" Facebook page, the family posted the following statement Wednesday morning:

The family of Paul Kitterman would like to thank each and everyone of you for your support and kindness. We cannot thank you all enough and will be forever grateful to all of you. The family is happy to report Paul has been found and they are now with him and he is safe. The family wanted to hold of reporting that Paul was located due to the fact they wanted to ensure it was Paul that was located and not someone else. The family is very much part of this page and read the comments on here. We know there are many questions that some of you may have but for the time being we are asking that you respect there privacy as they have been through a lot. We love all of you and we will never forget your kindness, compassion, and your willingness to help us find Paul. God Bless all of you....