Destructive House Fire Caused By Buildup Of Dryer Lint

Three families were uprooted from their home after a fire ripped through both floors Wednesday night.

Fire investigators with Colorado Springs Fire Department say the fire was caused by a build up of lint in the home's clothes dryer. Investigators say the lint got clogged in the vent pipe that goes from the dryer to the outside of the home.

The fire caused "significant damage throughout the house," Lt. Kriss Soppe told 11 News. Firefighters were told on the way to the home on the 4800 block of Constitution that the fire was in the basement, but once on scene, "[Firefighters] found there to be very active fire on both floors," Soppe said.

The fire started around 5:45 p.m. Wednesday and grew dangerous very quickly.

"Smoke was very heavy and we've had also some interior structural collapse which makes it a lot more dangerous for the firefighters inside," Soppe explained.

It took 45 minutes to get the fire under control.

Though the nine people living in the home are all OK, the fire department says four of six family pets perished.

"We were able to get two out," Soppe said.

The families are also at least for now without a home. The fire department has not said if the house is a total loss.