Boston Marathon Suspect Captured Alive

UPDATE: The 19-year-old Boston Marathon bombing suspect has been taken into custody.

Cheers and whoops of joy could be heard as officers emerged, concluding a two-hour standoff and a 20-hour manhunt.

Police say the suspect was hiding in the stern of a boat in the backyard of a home just outside the 20-block perimeter they had searched during the manhunt Friday. He was covered in blood, and has been taken to the hospital in serious condition.

In a tweet that echoed the sentiments of the Boston area and the country as a whole, the Boston Police Department wrote:

CAPTURED!!! The hunt is over. The search is done. The terror is over. And justice has won. Suspect in custody.


Previous: Gunshots were heard in Watertown shortly after a shelter-in-place order was lifted in the Boston area. More than 100 law enforcement raced to a neighborhood in the suburban community, and are surrounding a boat in a backyard. Sources tell CBS Boston the person in the boat is Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev.


Earlier coverage:

In the midst of a firefight involving 200 rounds and explosives, one of the two Boston Marathon suspects managed to get away, igniting a massive manhunt that is still underway more than 20 hours later.

In his haste to get away, police say the suspect known to the world prior to Friday as "Suspect 2" ran over his dying accomplice before crashing. His accomplice has been identified as his brother.

Images of the two men immediately went viral Thursday afternoon after the FBI released their photos and called for the public's help in finding them.

The images show two men in different colored baseball caps walking along the sidewalk among the marathon spectators shortly before the first explosion.

The Boston Police Department has confirmed that the surviving suspect, previously known as "Suspect 2," is 19-year-old Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev. CBS Boston has identified the deceased suspect as 26-year-old Tamerlan Tsarnaev. In photos, Tamerlan is seen walking in front sporting a black baseball cap, while Dzhokhar follows behind wearing a white cap.

Sources tell the AP that the suspects are from Russia, which was corroborated by the suspects' uncles Ruslan and Alvi Tsarni.

Chaos broke out a few hours after the photos began circulating in the public, resulting in the death of a MIT police officer and eventually Tamerlan Tsarnaev.

Police say it all began late Thursday night after a MIT officer, identified as 26-year-old Sean Collier, was found seriously injured in his car near the university. He had been shot multiple times, and later died at Massachusetts General Hospital. The Middlesex district attorney said the investigation determined that two males were involved in this shooting.

The MIT officer was shot while responding to a disturbance on campus, according to both the DA and Cambridge police.

At this point, Massachusetts State Police say the brothers used a Honda CRV to carjack at Mercedes Benz less than a mile from where the officer was found.

The victim was carjacked at gunpoint, and dropped off at a Cambridge gas station 30 minutes later. The carjacking victim was unharmed.

After dropping off the carjacking victim, one brother drove off in the Honda CRV and the other left the area in the Mercedes. The brother in the CRV later abandoned it in Cambridge and met up with brother.

The CRV was found by police Friday morning.

After police were notified about the carjacking, officers began searching for the vehicle, eventually finding the brothers on the road in the Boston suburb of Watertown. Once the brothers realized police were on their tail, the Middlesex DA says the brothers began throwing explosives from the car at pursuing officers.

CBS Boston says that could explain why Dzhokhar may have managed to elude numerous officers--police were not prepared for explosives used against them as a weapon, and were forced to duck and cover.

This eventually escalated into a shootout between officers and suspects. At one point, Tamerlan Tsarnaev reportedly threw a pressure cooker at police, but the lid came off, preventing the explosive's intended effect.

Officers then shot Tamerlan. He survived long enough to be taken to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

During the shootout, a police officer with Boston's public transportation system (MBTA) was seriously wounded. He is out of surgery as of Friday afternoon.

Suspect 2, now identified as Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, managed to escape. CBS Boston says he drove over his dying brother's body as he scrambled to get away, all while continuing to throw explosives. After crashing the car, he managed to slip away from officers.

He is considered armed and extremely dangerous.

“We believe this to be a terrorist,” Boston Police commissioner Ed Davis said. ”We believe this is a man who’s come here to kill people.”

Earlier in the morning CBS News reported that Dzhokhar may be headed south in a gray Honda CRV, Massachusetts license plate 316ES9. That car was recovered in Boston.

The entire city of Boston and surrounding suburbs was forced to go on lockdown for hours while law enforcement methodically searched the area. The stay-in-place order was lifted as of 6 p.m. EST.

The White House says President Obama has been briefed on the developments unfolding in the Boston area.

Friends of Dzhokhar told CBS Boston they would have never seen him being capable of such an act. They remembered him as good student, into sports, nice and seemingly normal. One friend told CBS Boston that something must have happened to him in the last year to change him.

“Dzhokhar was so friendly and nice-going, I wouldn’t connect A and B that he would be a possible terrorist or even hurt a fly for that fact,” one classmate, who asked to remain anonymous, said.

Ruslan Tsarni had scathing words for his nephews, telling CBS Boston that they "do not deserve to be on this Earth" for what allegedly did Monday.

"What can I say? They murdered."

Their other uncle, Alvi Tsarni, refused to believe his nephews could be involved in the bombings.

"I can't believe this, it's not possible. My nephews can't do this stuff. There's no way."

The suspects' father described is younger son as an "angel" and said he was a second-year medical student.

The University of Massachusetts in Darthmouth confirmed that Dzhokhar was a student there, although they did not elaborate as to whether he lived on campus or what he was majoring in.

The school has evacuated "out of an abundance of caution."

Crowds gather to cheer on law enforcement after the capture of suspect Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev.