Sky Sox bounce back in Tacoma

By  | 

TACOMA, Wash. The Sky Sox bounced back in game two of the series with a 6-1 victory over the Tacoma Rainiers at Cheney Park. Aaron Brooks highlighted the Sky Sox on the mound today with an impressive six and two-thirds innings pitched while allowing one run on four hits with a walk surrendered and five strikeouts. Offensively, both Nate Orf and Rymer Liriano collected three-hit performances while Orf and Shane Opitz tallied a pair of RBI each.

After Tacoma took an early 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first inning on Daniel Vogelbach’s solo home run, the Sky Sox joined the party, scoring a run in each of the second and third innings while putting two additional runs up in the fourth.

With two outs in the top of the second, with two runners on – Jett Bandy, who reached on a fielding error, and Opitz, who walked – Quintin Berry clutched up with his single up the middle to tie things up at 1-1.

In the third, Bandy clubbed in the team’s go-ahead run on his sacrifice fly ball to score Tyler Saladino from third base, who was hit by a pitch with one out and moved to third on Christian Bethancourt’s single.
The Colorado Springs squad continued the timely offense after Rymer Liriano sparked the half with a double and Opitz followed with a single to quickly bring in Liriano. With two outs, a balk advanced Opitz into scoring position at second base and Orf knocked a base hit, giving the Sky Sox a 4-1 advantage.

After going scoreless in the fifth, the Sky Sox offense got going again, adding two more runs in the sixth and seventh frames. In the sixth, another two-out rally manufactured a solo run. With two on, Orf delivered his second clutch two-out single to bring in Liriano who singled to lead-off the inning. In the seventh, Opitz brought in the final visiting squad run of the day on his sacrifice fly ball to plate Keon Broxton from third, making it a final 6-1 contest.

The Sky Sox continue into game three of the set with an 8:05 p.m. MST first pitch tomorrow before taking a day off prior to returning home to Security Service Field on the ninth to take on the Nashville Sounds.