Case moving forward against man accused of accidentally shooting baby; family seeks justice

By  | 
View Map

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (KKTV) - The case against a 26-year-old who allegedly shot his weapon into a 1-year-old's bedroom is going forward.

In court Thursday, the judge scheduled a preliminary hearing for March 8 for Jair Isaza. The judge said his bond would be discussed at that time as well.

The Jan. 24 incident, which happened at an apartment complex near East Fountain and South Murray, left the little boy with serious injuries.

"I thought my house would be a safe place and I never thought this would happen in my own home,” said the baby’s mother, Blanca Rodriguez.

The bullet reportedly went through the wall and went through both of the little boy's legs. The child was rushed to the hospital with serious injuries and is reportedly in stable condition.

Rodriguez says she heard what sounded like an explosion and then seconds later her son was screaming, blood coming from his legs.

"I feel like I’m always going to have that image and it's never going to go away,” Rodriguez said.

Since the bullet went through their black bed frame, she had no idea what had happened to her son.

"I was terrified, I was scared. I didn't like seeing my baby like that. I thought he was going to bleed to death,” Rodriguez said.

It was only later when police showed her where the bullet came through her bedroom wall, that she realized what exactly happened.

"There's really no explanation of what happened in their apartment to do that, to have a gun and shoot it. He could've taken my son away,” Rodriguez said.

Police say they quickly determined the bullet came from the neighboring apartment and detained all the residents there. Police say Isaza never should have had a weapon at all as a previous offender.

Rodriguez says the suspect and his girlfriend immediately ran over from next door after the gun went off and apologized.

Little Carlos is doing okay. But his parents say it's too early to tell if he'll have trouble walking. He still wakes up at night to any small noises, scared.

The family says police told them the shot could easily have been deadly. They are so glad he's alive, but he has a long road ahead of him. They want justice for their little boy.

According to an arrest affidavit obtained by our partners at The Gazette, Isaza had been drinking when he allegedly fired the shot.

Along with illegally possessing a weapon, Isaza is facing charges of illegal discharge of a firearm.

Police say the toddler is expected to survive. The family has started a GoFundMe to help with medical expenses. Click here if you would like to help.