Hail damage at older homes could cause carbon monoxide poisoning

By  | 

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (KKTV) One roofing company is addressing what they're calling "an emergency situation" for older homes damaged in last week's hail storm that pounded southern Colorado.

AMERICAP vent cap damaged in last week's storm.

Total Roofing says if your home was built in the 60s or 70s and is in the Cimarron Hills area, there could be deadly amounts of carbon monoxide build-up.

It has to do with a certain type-b vent cap that has the "AMERICAP" label. The roofing company tells 11 News at least 50 percent of homes in the Cimarron Hills area probably have this cap, which was used by builders for the area.

If that cap was damaged from the hail, poisonous gases may not be able to escape -- including carbon monoxide.

"They can get up and check it themselves; if they're not comfortable going up on their ladder or their roof, they could have a furnace contractor come look at that or Colorado Springs Utilities," said Scott McIntyre from Total Roofing.

11 News also spoke with a homeowner who had the AMERICAP vent cap.

"It made me pretty nervous. A lot of people, they're not going to know about that, so I'm glad that it's out," said homeowner Dylan Hunsicker.

If you are concerned about potential dangers, check your vent caps in your home. It's also important to have working carbon monoxide detectors.