High Chateau Fire suspects sentenced to probation, less than 3 months in jail

From top: David Renfrow, Kegan Owens. Owens reached a plea agreement Monday, Nov. 26, 2018. Renfrow followed a week later. The men were sentenced Feb. 4, 2019. (Mugshots courtesy of Teller County Sheriff's Office)

TELLER COUNTY, Colo. (KKTV) - UPDATE (2/4): The two men who pleaded guilty to starting the High Chateau Fire have been sentenced to several weeks in jail and years of probation.

11 News partner The Gazette reports that 19-year-old Kegan Patrick Owens and 24-year-old David Michael Renfrow avoided a prison sentence after the fire victims asked for compassion in their sentencing.


Both men received 10 years' probation. Owens received 60 days in jail, while Renfrow received 70 days.

No word yet if this includes time already served.

___________________________

UPDATE (12/3): The second of two men accused of starting the High Chateau Fire has pleaded guilty.

David Michael Renfrow, 23, pleaded guilty to felony charges of firing woods or prairie.

He will be sentenced in February.

_________________________________

PREVIOUS (11/26): One of the two adult suspects accused of starting the High Chateau Fire pleaded guilty Monday morning.

Kegan Owens, 19, faces up to 18 months in jail followed by one year on parole. He will be sentenced in February.

The second suspect, 23-year-old David Renfrow, was also scheduled to be in court Monday. That appearance was continued to Dec. 3.

Both men, as well as a 17-year-old boy, are accused of disregarding a burn ban and building a campfire on the night of June 28, then leaving the fire smoldering when they got spooked by a bear and decided to cut the night short. Law enforcement says this was what started the High Chateau Fire. The fire consumed more than 1,400 acres and destroyed at least eight homes. It was first reported around noon on June 29 roughly 4 miles south of Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument.

Arrest affidavits state the group poured water over the fire and placed a layer of dirt inside the fire ring and thought the fire was completely out when they left for home.