Planned Parenthood shooting: One year later

By  | 

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (KKTV) Sunday marked one year since the deadly shooting rampage at a Colorado Springs Planned Parenthood, which claimed three lives and left several others injured.

Lingering effects from the attack can still be seen in the community, notably among the police force, which saw its numbers drop after Nov. 27. 2015.

"There have been some pretty tough deals in the community through Planned Parenthood [shooting] and the [2015] Halloween day shooting that factored in on some of our officers' decisions to leave. ... It's been a difficult year or two at the Colorado Springs Police Department. We are blessed by a lot of community support, but there's been a lot of wear and tear on our police officers," CSPD Chief Pete Carey said during a conversation on police department changes back in September.

"It's pretty overwhelming. Just about every cop story starts, 'There I was minding my own business when unfortunately I had the displeasure of being involved in both situations,'" Officer Scott Hallas reflected at the Medal of Valor ceremony held earlier this month.

Four of the six law enforcement shot during the standoff were with the Springs police department.

UCCS is planning a candlelight vigil for Monday night to honor campus Officer Garrett Swasey, the lone officer to lose his life in the shooting. The vigil will be held on campus ahead of the men's basketball team's season home opener. It starts at 6:30 p.m. and is open to the public. Tickets to the basketball game are free.

The vigil will also honor first responders from six other agencies.

Swasey was killed while responding to the active shooter situation. Friends of the officer believe he was the officer caught on camera heading directly towards to clinic as other officers were under fire. He was last seen on tape walking towards the side of the building the shooter was on.

Also losing their lives that day were Iraqi war vet Ke'Arre Stewart and Jennifer Markovsky, who family say was at the clinic to support a friend.

All three victims were parents who left behind young children.

"You shouldn't have to miss somebody who is 29 years old," Leonte Chandler said of his friend Stewart, who he last saw the day before when they sat down for Thanksgiving dinner.

The mass shooting started just before noon on Black Friday and led to an hours-long standoff. Click here to read the complete emergency dispatch tape transcript

Hundreds of people were in the neighboring shopping center and were forced to shelter in place wherever they were -- grocery store, restaurant, or in the case of Judy Edmunds, her car.

"A lady came up and said, 'Don't get out, get back in your vehicle, we want you safe, we don't want you shot,'" Edmunds recalled. Edmunds, a courier, had just dropped something off at a nearby office when she heard gunshots. She hid in her car for four hours.

"I heard machine guns, I heard big blasts -- I was terrified!"

The ordeal finally ended just before 5 p.m. with the shooter's capture.

The alleged gunman, 58-year-old Robert Dear, has admitted to the shootings, but has not yer been found competent to stand trial. Since May, he has been receiving treatment at the Colorado Mental Health Institute in Pueblo.

"I'm going to plead guilty, because I know I'm guilty. But the point is that, uh, yeah, I killed three people, but I saved probably 3,000 babies. Maybe more than that," Dear told 11 News in a phone call he made while still in jail.

Dear, who has showed no remorse in any of his court hearings to date, has called himself a "warrior for the babies" and claimed he was being followed by the FBI.

"I felt like they were going to get me and so I am going to pick where I want to make my last stand. And I picked Planned Parenthood because it’s murdering little babies," he told sister station KCNC in another phone call.

Dear faces 179 charges for the shooting.

For our complete coverage of the Planned Parenthood Shooting over the last year, click here.