One dog killed, several injured in mobile home fire

 Photo by KKTV
Photo by KKTV (KKTV)
Published: Oct. 18, 2018 at 7:39 AM MDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

An early morning fire in Southern El Paso County destroyed a mobile home, killed one dog, and injured several more dogs who were trapped inside when it started.

It happened near the Ray Nixon Power Plant in the Hanover area.

Hanover Fire Chief Carl Tatum says the camper was fully engulfed when firefighters arrived on scene around 5 a.m. Thursday. Tatum says despite flames as tall as 20 ft., a neighbor was trying to get the dogs loose from their kennels.

11 News talked to that neighbor.

"Our chocolate lab started barking and usually it means coyotes. So we jumped up out of bed and I saw the flames in the window," Michael Harris said.

That's when he grabbed his shoes, coat and leashes and ran down to help.

Holding back tears Harris' told 11 News, "it's heartbreaking" to know one of the dogs didn't make it.

"The animal was badly burnt and it was suffering.” Tatum said.

Sheriff's deputies put it down.

The couple who lived in the home was not there when the fire started so no people were hurt. Fire crews and neighbors say about eight dogs lived there and were taken in by the couple as rescues. Some were running around the property when our crew got there and one of the injured dogs jumped into an 11 News truck.

Now all that's left of the mobile home is scrap metal and ashes. It's a total loss.

Harris is still grappling with what happened.

“it’s just a tragedy. I don’t know what I’d do if I lost all my kids, my dogs.”

Hanover Fire says the fire was accidental and started near a propane tank. The Humane Society is helping care for the dogs.