Chris Watts was transferred to a new facility outside of Colorado

11 News learned Monday night that Chris Watts was transferred to a facility outside of Colorado.

A spokesperson with the Department of Corrections confirmed the transfer but would not elaborate on any other details. It isn't clear why the transfer occurred or where Watts is being kept now. Mark Fairbairn with the Department of Corrections told 11 News he wasn't sure if Watts was moved for his own safety or for the safety of the guards. There is a concern with any high-profile case that staff could be injured if other inmates targeted the person in custody.

The family of Watts' wife and the district attorney were notified of his new location. That become a requirement by the state after a story 11 News did on convicted Aurora theater shooter James Holmes. In 2018, the governor of Colorado signed a bill into law that will give victims of crimes more rights. It says the Colorado prison system must tell victims where an inmate is moved when they are transferred out of state.

Newly released video shows what happened in the days after Chris Watts murdered his pregnant wife and two young daughters. Even in the moments before he failed a polygraph test.

Investigator: “How are you feeling today?”
Chris Watts: "I'm sick to my stomach honestly, the first day I thought okay she was just somewhere but after yesterday and all the activity at my house, it went to the other extreme. I’ve just been sick to my stomach that if somebody has her or she’s in trouble and the kids are not safe.”

Officer worn body-cam video was also released as they searched the watts' home for any trace of Shannan, 3-year-old Celeste and 4-year-old Bella before they were found dead.

In another video released by the Weld County District Attorney’s Office, you can see Watts in a neighbor’s surveillance video, in the upper left corner. He's calmly loading up his truck the morning after his wife returned from a trip.

It's the same truck investigators say he used to transport his dead family to the oil and gas company where he worked.

He put his two young daughters in oil tanks and buried his wife in a shallow grave nearby.

Last week Watts got 5 life sentences, he will spend the rest of his life in prison.

He's currently being held at a facility for physical and mental evaluation.