Man shot by Pueblo police in car linked to carjacking of elderly woman in Colorado Springs

PUEBLO, Colo. (KKTV) - A man caught red-handed in a stolen car is in surgery after trading gunshots with police on March 13.

Pueblo police were called to the intersection of Rutgers and Pueblo Boulevard at 3:30 a.m. to check on a man passed out in a vehicle. A quick plate check revealed the vehicle had been stolen from Colorado Springs late last month.

"As officers approached the vehicle, the occupant came to and put it in drive and took off at a high rate of speed," Capt. Kenny Rider said.

Police let the driver go, but less than 20 minutes later found it parked next to a Starbucks in the Regency Shopping Center at Pueblo Boulevard and Northern Avenue. When the suspect realized officers had found him, he jumped out and ran from police, firing his gun as he fled.

"Officers did return fire and they hit the suspect," Rider said.

Rider says the suspect survived the shooting and was taken to surgery. No officers were injured.

He has since been identified as 35-year-old Matthew Gregg. He remains in the hospital in critical condition.

"This hits us hard," he told 11 News. "I mean, it's becoming more violent, the suspect had a gun and firing at officers. We are lucky no officers have been hit or injured."

11 News has confirmed the car matches the description of a Kia Rio stolen from an elderly woman getting groceries on Feb. 25. The victim told 11 News she was ordered to hand over her keys or be stabbed to death.

It's not yet clear if Gregg was the one who stole the car or just happened to be in it when police encountered him.

Police say Gregg had a previous felony warrant for dangerous drugs which included possession of a controlled substance and possession of a weapon by a previous offender.

Gregg now faces an additional charge of attempted first-degree murder of a peace officer.

Police identified the officers involved as Officer Vincent Nash and Officer Gregory Golden. Both started working at the police department in September of 2016 and both have been cleared to return to full duty.