COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (KKTV)- UPDATE 8/31/18:
11 News partner The Gazette is reporting police are "casting their doubts" when it comes to a man stepping forward claiming to be a baby who has been missing for decades from Colorado Springs.
Christopher Abeyta disappeared from his crib in Colorado Springs more than 30 years ago. This week, someone came forward saying they may be Christopher.
"Unfortunately at this time it does not appear this will be credible information," Lt. Howard Black emailed a statement to 11 News. "However, we are working to confirm. We have had similar type things happen in the past which I know may seem very odd but this is not a unique circumstance."
A similar statement was sent to The Gazette.
"Unfortunately at this time it does not appear this will be credible information, however, we are working to confirm," Colorado Springs police cold case Commander Jeff Jensen said in an email Friday to The Gazette. He declined to provide specifics about why the person's connection seems unlikely before DNA test results are returned.
11 News has reached out to Commander Jensen for additional comment.
There's a possible new development, in the decades old case of a missing baby. A man has come forward so sure he's the missing child, that investigators are testing his DNA.
Christopher Abeyta disappeared from his crib in Colorado Springs more than 30 years ago. 11 News reporter Alyssa Chin talked with Christopher's sister about the possibility of finally finding him.
The Abeyta family doesn't know much about the man who's come forward, or why he seems so convinced that he is Christopher.
Christopher’s sister Linnea Abeyta said the family is doing their best not to get ahead of themselves.
"Your brain is telling you not to but your heart is saying this might be it," Abeyta said.
Christopher Abeyta disappeared from his crib 32 years ago. He was just seven-months-old. Thursday, there was renewed hope in the cold case.
"There is a person who drove here to Colorado to go to the CBI to get a DNA test," Abeyta told us.
The family said this is just the fourth time that they know of, that investigators have taken DNA evidence from someone claiming to be Christopher.
His mother died without any answers just last year after a battle with cancer. She maintained the family would never give up the search.
"When Christopher disappeared it was like I lost my future and I lost the beginning of our life," Bernice Abeyta said in a previous interview.
A new progression photo was recently released by the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.
Abeyta has not yet seen the man claiming to be Christopher, but did see a photo of him as a toddler.
“The toddler was, yeah could be. It's hard to admit that you don't know but they are were some likings there, but if I was to see him without any knowledge of who he was I don't know if I would say that that's Christopher,” Abeyta said.
The Abeyta family rallied alongside supporters outside of the District Attorney's Office in downtown Colorado Springs for the anniversary of Christopher's disappearance. They do it every year.
"Everyone say some prayers cross some fingers and let's just hope that this is the end and we found him if we did it would be absolutely wonderful," Abeyta said.
The results of Wednesday’s DNA test will be available next month.
Police have never named a suspect in this case.