UPDATE: Suspect who prompted Goodwill lockdown in custody

By  | 

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (KKTV) - A man customers said was threatening to shoot outside a southeast Springs Goodwill has been taken into custody. The incident had shoppers scared for their lives.

Officers were first called to the Goodwill at 2855 S. Academy Blvd. Wednesday on a possible domestic violence-related call following the alleged threats made. Before officers arrived, the suspect fled on foot.

About 45 minutes later, police were able to arrest the unnamed suspect about a mile north at the Whitney Young Manor rentals.

"He had actually hid underneath a trampoline and a gated backyard. The backyard had a 6-foot privacy fence and the officers were able to find him hiding there under the trampoline,” said Colorado Springs police Lieutenant Catherine Buckley.

Before he was caught, the store was placed on lockdown, where employees locked the doors and had everyone stay inside. The store went into its active shooter mode, which employees were trained to do, to keep everyone safe.

Gage Tretheway described a chaotic scene inside, with shoppers scrambling to figure out what was happening.

“I called my parents and I was like, 'Hey we’re all locked in here and there’s a guy with a gun outside and they’re not letting anybody leave,' so it was pretty sketchy,” said Thretheway.

Thretheway continued, “People were just trying to figure out what was going on. Everybody was like, ‘Oh, I’m going to get my gun and oh, I’m going to go do this,’ so I thought there was going to be a shootout or something like that.”

Harrison School District 2 said Sierra High School, Centennial Elementary School and Monterey Elementary School were placed on lockout at the police department's recommendation during the incident. Under a lockout, no one is allowed in or out of the school, but classes go on as usual.

"Whenever you go, there’s always people with guns. It’s kind of scary. It is scary,” said shopper Maria Chavez.

Police said thanks to the great coordination between citizens and law enforcement, they were able to catch the suspect without any injuries reported or any shots fired.

The suspect was later identified as Thomas Ivery.