PUEBLO, Colo. (KKTV) - A large fire at a trash disposal site north of Pueblo is under control after raging much of the day.
The fire broke out sometime before 4 a.m. Saturday, which was when the first passerby noticed the flames and called 911. It was burning at the C&C Disposal Transfer Site on Quartz Street, which is west of the interstate and about a mile north of Dillon Drive.
According to the Pueblo County Sheriff's Office, the fire sparked in a trash pile, then spread to a nearby metal building that houses the recycling sorting center. At times the flames were as high as a four-story building.
The fire was contained to the trash disposal site and never threatened any other structures. The smoke was another story; the sheriff's office reported it was so thick that the Pueblo Health Department had to issue a health advisory. Residents living in the area were urged to keep their windows and doors shut, and those with respiratory issues were advised to avoid the area.
Even after getting the fire under control Saturday evening, firefighters remained on scene for hours after to ensure it did not flare back up.
There is no word on how it started.