COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (KKTV) - Two bills were put forth on Thursday to end the partial government shutdown and both were shot down. On Friday, President Donald Trump signed a bill reopening the government for three weeks.
Political affiliation aside, there are still thousands of federal employees impacted by the shutdown when it comes to pay. The shutdown ended on its 35th day.
A group of people crafted an online resource to help furloughed federal employees across the nation. The Shutdown Assistance Map features hundreds of businesses that are offering deals or assistance to those who are impacted. From food specials to financial assistance.
NOTE: some offers may have expired since the government reopened.
Click here to visit and browse the Shutdown Assistance Map. Once you are on the website click the state you live in and you're able to scroll through the deals offered.
OTHER BUSINESSES OFFERING HELP TO FEDERAL EMPLOYEES IMPACTED BY THE SHUTDOWN
- Poor Richard's is offering free meals to federal employees affected by the government shutdown. Colorado Springs City Council President Richard Skorman, who owns the restaurant, says the offer is good for every week that the stalemate over border security between Congress and President Trump continues. More information can be found here. UPDATE 1/25/19 Management at Poor Richard's said they would keep the deal going through Jan. 27 after President Donald Trump signed a bill to temporarily reopen the government on Friday.
-The Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center at Colorado College Museum is extending free general admission to all furloughed federal employees and their immediate families for the duration of the shutdown. Visitors can redeem the offer by presenting a federal government ID at the front desk.
- The organization "My Neighbor's Cupboard" in Penrose is offering food assistance as long as people provide their federal ID. That's open Wednesday 4-6 p.m., Thursdays 11 a.m. - 1 p.m., Saturdays 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. and Sundays 11 a.m. - 1 p.m. along 409 Broadway.
- Happy Cats Haven in Colorado Springs is offering free cat food Jan. 8 - Jan 15, 11 a.m. to noon.
- Pikes Peak United Way is also offering help to people who need it during the shutdown. Just dial 211.
- Customers who have cell phone or internet service through AT&T can take advantage of flexible payment options. AT&T says it is waiving late fees and providing revised payment schedules to those affected by the shutdown. DIRECTV customers can CLICK HERE.
- Colorado Springs Philharmonic is offering two free tickets to all federal employees impacted by the shutdown. Employees can choose from Swan Lake and The Wonderful Music of Oz. They can reserve their tickets by presenting a valid government ID at the Pikes Peak Center Box Office. Box office hours are 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday.
- Verizon is waiving all late fees and agent assist fees for federal employees who use Promise to Pay and are directly impacted by the shutdown for the duration of the government shutdown. More info can be found HERE.
- Free haircuts to all federal government employees during the shutdown. Abbey Lane Salon and Day Spa at 2904 W. Colorado Avenue in Colorado Springs. Free haircuts are available Thursdays and Friday.
- The Sangre de Cristo Arts Center and Buell Children's Museum is offering free admission for furloughed employees (plus guests). Offer good through Jan. 31. Children's Museum is open Tuesday-Saturday from 11 a.m.-4 p.m. and Sunday from noon until 4 p.m. The gallery is open 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Wednesday-Saturday and noon-4 p.m. on Sundays.
-Ent Credit Union is offering affected members with direct deposit a no-interest 90-day single pay loan. Click here for more information.
- Harlem Globetrotters are offering free tickets to furloughed government employees for any of its five Colorado stops: Feb. 28 at Browson Arena, March 1 at Budweiser Events Center in Loveland, March 2 at Pepsi Center in Denver, March 2 at 1STBANK Center in Broomfield, March 3 at Broadmoor World Arena in Colorado Springs.
If you are a business owner who would like to add to this list please email email@example.com.