Fountain Walmart employee who tested positive for COVID-19 also worked for Pizza Hut
A Walmart employee who tested positive for COVID-19 also worked for a Pizza Hut in Fountain, the El Paso County Health Department confirmed to 11 News Tuesday.
The patient works at both the Walmart off Highway 85/87 in Fountain and the Pizza Hut on Mesa Ridge Parkway. The health department tells 11 News both businesses took the necessary precautions following the employee's official diagnosis.
"Walmart has been very proactive about taking the necessary steps to ensure proper cleaning and disinfection, and other measures to help keep both employees and shoppers safe," Public Health Information Officer Michelle Hewitt wrote to 11 News Monday when confirming the patient's association with Walmart.
Tuesday, she said the same of Pizza Hut.
"Pizza Hut did close over the weekend in order to bring a third party in to do a thorough disinfection. In general, they have been regularly practicing good cleaning and disinfecting practices, in an effort to protect both employees and the public."
Specific details on the employee, including when they last worked at either location, were not provided publicly. The health department says they are working on a list of businesses where employees have tested positive for COVID.
Hewitt pointed to the following measures put in place by the Walmart:
- Social distancing
- Gloves and masks available for personal shoppers
- Hand sanitizer available for personal shoppers
- Sanitizing shared equipment (handsets) between users
- Procedures for infection prevention: deep clean of common areas throughout the store, steps to be taken after confirmed positive case provided by corporate
"It’s critical for people to limit trips to essential outings," Hewitt added. "By limiting these trips and closely following the guidance of the stay at home order and social distancing, it will help protect both employees who work at critical businesses and the public alike."
- For information and resources on COVID-19, El Paso and Teller County residents can call 719-575-8888 seven days a week. Monday through Friday, the line is available from 8 a.m.-8 p.m. Weekends, calls will be taken between 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
- The state has a toll-free hotline CO HELP for general questions about COVID-19. That hotline can be reached at both 303-389-1687 and 877-462-2911.
- Those needing assistance with financial services, food, clothing and household needs, mental health, and more can call 211.
for the El Paso County Public Health COVID-19 website
for the CDPHE COVID-19 website.
for the CDC COVID-10 website