Flammable liquid improperly disposed of to blame for house fire

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (KKTV) - Fire investigators say a flammable liquid that was not properly disposed of is the cause of a house fire that sparked Tuesday. It's a good reminder to all homeowners to stay aware when upgrading a home.

Crews responded to 2705 Lark Drive around 9:45 p.m. Crews got to the house in about three minutes, which was unoccupied because it was under construction. Within five minutes of 30 firefighters working together, they had the fire completely out.

The fire started because a floor finishing product wasn't properly thrown away. Instead, it was left inside a plastic trash bag along with the applicators that were used. That caused spontaneous heating and for the flames to flare up.

The fire department is reminding residents to properly dispose of flammable items. According to the National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA):

• NFPA 17.1.1 Flammable and combustible liquids, which include gasoline, kerosene, lacquers, paint thinner, some cleaning fluids, hair spray, and paint solvents can be fire hazards because of their vapors ignite easily.
• NFPA 17.1.7 Store oily and solvent-wet rags in a tightly sealed metal container, or hang them outside to dry and then discard them.