Careless smoking sparks fire at Foxworth-Galbraith building in Colorado Springs

By  | 

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (KKTV) - A smoker nearly destroyed the Foxworth-Galbraith building in Colorado Springs, according to fire investigators.

The Colorado Springs Fire Department is reporting the sprinkler system played a major role in saving the building in the 4000 block of Interpark Dr. near Austin Bluffs Parkway and I-25. The sprinkler system set off an automatic alarm that called firefighters to the scene on April 13 at about 3:30 in the morning.

When crews arrived in the area they noticed smoke coming from the roof-line of the building. Firefighters were able to gain access to the property but had issues with finding a working hydrant.

"The CSFD identifies the sprinkler system activation as a success story for this structure," Public Information Officer with the fire department Capt. Brian Vaughan wrote. "Without proper activation, this building may have ended in a total loss to the structure or worse considering life safety due to the occupancy and fuel loading. Colorado Springs Utilities is investigating the City hydrant failure currently and CSFD Fire Inspectors have inspected the site previously for loading too close to hydrants and are in the process of re-inspection for compliance moving forward."

There were no injuries reported after 48 firefighters were called to the scene. The cause was due to "careless disposal of cigarettes" according to the fire department.

The fire department provided the following tips for smoking safety:

1-Always provide enough sturdy, fire and weatherproof, non-tipping, outdoor ashtrays for employees and house guests

2-Make sure your outdoor smoking area does not slope towards any structure

3- Do not toss cigarettes out of any vehicle that you are driving or while you are walking at any time or anywhere. It is a fire hazard, and it is also littering

4-Never toss a cigarette into landscaping, yards, drains, on decks, or driveways and roadways

5-If you smoke cigarettes responsibly and always discard them in the fire-safe receptacle, then you can prevent fires