UPDATE: Investigators say smoking caused Sunday morning house fire

(KKTV)
Published: Oct. 14, 2018 at 9:48 AM MDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

Smoking on an outside deck resulted in a scare for a Colorado Springs family.

Investigators say the smokers likely didn't extinguish their cigarettes well while smoking sometime between Saturday night and Sunday morning, and inadvertently sparked a fire that then spread into the house.

The fire department says the family woke up about 8:45 a.m. to the smell of smoke and the sound of their smoke alarm blaring and got out of the house.

Smoke could be seen drifting out of the second floor when crews got to the scene in the 5500 block of North Buckskin Pass Drive. The deck where the fire ignited is located in the back of the home.

The damage to the home was not very extensive, and the family was able to return that same day.

The Colorado Springs Fire Department urges smokers to be exceedingly cautious with cigarette disposal. In 2014 alone, careless smoking was responsible for 17,400 house fires, which in turn killed 570 people.

.