Asbestos investigation underway by the state for complexes told to evacuate by landlord for asbestos
Residents at two Colorado Springs apartment complexes last week were being told to evacuate their homes immediately due to asbestos. Now, the state is investigating to see if any laws were broken during renovation work.
"It is rough because it is the middle of the month, it's going to be Christmas -- now my kids have lost their Christmas toys because we have to find a new place," resident Alena Salazar told 11 News.
Multiple families tell 11 News they received a notice on Dec. 4 at a complex called The Thrive at the Incline, formally known as the Shannon Glen Apartments. The complex is near Platte and Bijou on the east side of the city. A few weeks earlier, residents at the Thrive at Park's Edge received a similar notice. Some residents at Park's Edge even came home to boards across their front doors.
Nearly 200 units received the notice at the Thrive at the Incline. One resident tells 11 News they were informed if they didn't leave the building, they would be evicted. The form they received states the landlord determined the immediate evacuation was necessary based on information provided from the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment.
According to the EPA, the use of asbestos for buildings was banned in 1989 but is still found in older buildings.
One of the most common uses for asbestos is insulation, and when it is disturbed it becomes airborne and increases the risk for many other health issues.
Residences of the apartment complex will be notified when they can return, but the timeline is unclear. Residents were also instructed to only take essential belongings as other items could be contaminated.
Residents were offered to be put in a hotel while they make other arrangements. 11 News spoke to the landlord and management, but no one wanted to comment.
Residents are being told to call 719-464-9182 with any questions.
On Dec. 10, 11 News learned the state had opened an investigation. Andrew Bare with the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment sent 11 News the following statement:
As more information becomes available this article will be updated.