'Dinomite' not the cause of T-Rex fire in Colorado

 Photo: Royal Gorge Dinosaur Experience
Photo: Royal Gorge Dinosaur Experience (KKTV)
Published: Mar. 22, 2018 at 5:33 PM MDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

The mighty T-Rex at the Royal Gorge Dinosaur Experience will rise from the ashes again.

An electrical malfunction is at fault for a fire that completely destroyed the T-Rex at the Royal Gorge Dinosaur Experience on Thursday. There were no injuries in the blaze and the president of the business says his employees responded well to the image that look like it was straight out of a horror film.

"Holy smokes! We always knew T-Rex had a temper but, today he blew his top," President of the Royal Gorge Dinosaur Experience Zach Reynolds sent to 11 News in a release. "There was an unfortunate (and rare) electrical issue with our mighty T-Rex and he is no longer. You might even say... extinct. We are incredibly proud of our team for the way they efficiently and quickly handled this situation and kept our guests safe. All in all, this happened very quickly and we are a little shaken but we are operating business as mostly usual - the big ropes course is closed but the smaller course for younger kids is open, as well as the Wild Walk and museum tours. Safety of our guests and staff is of the utmost importance and we assure everyone that we are perfectly safe."

The 24-foot-tall T-Rex, which moved and made sounds, was one of 16 dinosaurs that line the park's Wild Walk exhibit. Reynolds says it was a total loss, but at least "it made for some spectacular imagery along the way."

The dino was insured and they expect to have its replacement by summertime!

A crazy shot of our poor T-Rex from this morning. We just want to re-emphasize that this was an isolated incident and we...

Posted by Royal Gorge Dinosaur Experience on Thursday, March 22, 2018