AURORA, Colo. (AP) - Documents show firefighters were called to assist with four gas leaks at an Aurora senior living community in the days before an explosion at the community killed a woman and injured others.
Firefighters were at Heather Gardens on Nov. 16 investigating a gas leak when an explosion killed 82-year-old Carol Ross.
KUSA-TV reports Xcel Energy and the Aurora Fire Department’s incident reports say all four gas leaks at Heather Gardens were caused by workers cutting into or damaging a gas line.
Documents show the gas leaks occurred on Oct. 23, Oct. 29, Nov. 13, and Nov. 14.
Former Aurora Fire Deputy Chief Kevin Hammons says although responding to gas leaks is fairly common, he found these reports interesting because of how close in proximity and time they all were.
The explosion is under investigation.