Candles spark house fire that killed dog

Photo courtesy: CSFD

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (KKTV) - Colorado Springs firefighters were battling a blaze at a home just west of Palmer Park Tuesday evening.

The call came in at about 5 p.m. at 3119 Virginia Ave., near 4th Street and North Hancock Avenue. The fire department says early reports indicate everyone made it out of the home and no one was seriously injured. One person did have minor burn injuries to their hand. The department reported the fire was under control soon after arriving on scene.

Later in the night, the fire department reported a dog was found unconscious in the basement. Firefighters attempted CPR on the animal, but they weren't able to save it.

The fire was caused by candles left burning next to combustible material. The fire department released the following tips for avoiding candle-sparked fires:

- Blow out all candles when you leave the room or go to bed
- Avoid the use of candles in the bedroom and other areas where people may fall asleep
- Keep candles at least 1 foot away from anything that can burn
- Use candle holders that are sturdy, and won’t tip over easily
- Put candle holders on a sturdy, uncluttered surface
- Have flashlights and battery-powered lighting ready to use during a power outage. Never use candles.