Deadly house fire in Pueblo ruled accidental

Published: Jan. 30, 2018 at 4:18 PM MST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
UPDATE (2/6/18):

No foul play is suspected in a deadly house fire in Pueblo.

The Pueblo Fire Department says the Jan. 30 fire that claimed the life of Vickie Failing was caused by "smoking materials." The house in the area of Constitution Road in Belmont was fully involved by the time firefighters arrived on scene.


UPDATE (1/30/18):

A deadly house fire in Pueblo was under investigation Tuesday afternoon.

At about 3 p.m. firefighters were called to a home in the area of Constitution Road in Belmont. When crews arrived on scene, the house was engulfed in flames. Pueblo Fire Chief Shawn Shelton told 11 News crews made the grisly discovering while trying to knock the fire down.

The Pueblo County coroner identified the deceased as 55-year-old Vickie Failing.

A neighbor told 11 News the house seemed to explode in flames "in seconds."

"Heard a big boom, I came out and [the house] started exploding," Jessica Casack said.

Shelton said investigators are still trying to determine if the fire was an accident or intentionally set.

Fire Chief Shawn Shelton says a dog was rescued and Failing was found dead in the home's living room.