Smoking linked to deadly Cimarron Hills fire; victim ID'd

Published: Dec. 12, 2018 at 9:11 PM MST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

An explosion, sirens and a red glow: Neighbors said it was an intense scene on Western Drive Wednesday night as firefighters battled a large mobile home fire.

The fire started around 9 p.m. in The Springs mobile home park. A witness said he heard a loud boom when checking his mailbox, then saw an eerie glow coming from a nearby home.

Firefighters spent close to an hour tackling the blaze, which engulfed the home.

Witnesses feared someone had been killed after seeing a stretcher taken to the scene. The El Paso County Sheriff's Office confirmed Thursday morning that one person had been killed. The deceased was identified as 64-year-old Steven Cryer.

The Colorado Springs Fire Department said the fire was caused by a cigarette or similar that wasn't put out properly. There did not appear to be a functioning smoke alarm in the home.

The Springs mobile home community is located near highways 24 and 94.