9th, 10th, 11th U.S. cases of coronavirus confirmed in California

A woman wears a face mask as she takes photos during a snowfall in Beijing, Sunday, Feb. 2, 2020. China's death toll from a new virus increased to 304 on Sunday amid warnings from the World Health Organization that other countries need to prepare in the event the disease spreads among their populations as more nations report local infections. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)
By  | 

WASHINGTON (CBS/AP/CNN) - Three more cases of the new coronavirus were confirmed in the U.S. on Sunday, all in California, bringing the total number of people in the country with the disease to 11. The weekend also saw the first death blamed on the flu-like illness outside of China.

As of Monday morning there were at least 17,205 confirmed cases in more than two dozen countries, the vast majority of them in China, according to the World Health Organization. There have been 361 deaths, all of them in China except for one confirmed in the Philippines over the weekend.

U.S. officials declared a public health emergency last week and, as a result, foreign nationals who have traveled to China in the last two weeks and aren't immediate family members of U.S. citizens or permanent residents will be temporarily banned from entering the U.S., according to Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar. The new restrictions began Sunday afternoon. Among the restrictions:

- Airlines will be required to ask all passengers booked on flights from outside the U.S. if they’ve been to mainland China in the last 14 days.

- U.S. citizens who have been to China in the last two weeks will have to be rebooked to seven gateway airports, including Los Angeles International Airport, Seattle-Tacoma, San Francisco, Chicago O’Hare, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta, John F. Kennedy in New York and Daniel K. Inouye in Honolulu.

- Anyone entering the U.S. who has been in China's Hubei province in the last two weeks will be subject to a two-week quarantine.

- The Pentagon will provide military housing to accommodate up to 1,000 travelers arriving from overseas who might need to be quarantined due to the virus. Evacuees would be monitored for 14 days, with those found to be sick moved to hospitals. Fort Carson has been selected as one of these sites.

On Friday, U.S. health officials issued a federal quarantine order for the 195 Americans evacuated from Wuhan, the epicenter of the outbreak. The group will remain at a military base in Southern California until mid-February, said Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases. The government hasn't issued such a quarantine order in over 50 years, Messonnier said.

The State Department has warned Americans to avoid all travel to China due to the "rapidly spreading" outbreak. The decision came after the World Health Organization designated the outbreak a global public health emergency.

Scientists have found that the virus can spread person to person, even if someone is showing no symptoms. The next in line can continue to pass it on. The incubation period is up to two weeks, so people may not know where or when they picked it up.

The risk to the public outside of China, where most cases are, is still considered low.

The Philippines on Sunday reported the first death from coronavirus outside China. The deceased has been identified as a 44-year-old Chinese man from Wuhan. The Philippine Department of Health said he was admitted on Jan. 25 after experiencing a fever, cough, and sore throat.