COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (Care and Share Release) - UPDATE 11/16/19:
At about 3:20 p.m. Care and Share is reporting there will be a hard cut off time of 4 p.m. If you are not on Preamble Point by 4 p.m., you will likely be turned away. The organization has given out more food than expected and wants to thank everyone for understanding!
The Pueblo location ran out of food earlier and is no longer able to give out anything on Saturday.
Care and Share Food Bank will be holding the last of two large Mobile Food Pantry distributions outside of both its Colorado Springs and Pueblo facilities this Saturday, November 16 from 12-4 p.m.
This will mark the second Saturday in a row the organization is handing out food.
The large-scale distributions aim to achieve two ambitious goals: Saving 380,000 lbs. of highly nutritious food by supplying more than 1,000 neighbors.
This sort of mobile food pantry model is a unique opportunity for Care and Share to supply neighbors in need with unusually large quantities as we start the holiday season when budgets are tight and Care and Share has ample fresh produce and grocery staples ready for large-scale distributions to families and individuals. This abundance of food is a result of the trade mitigation and the tariffs placed on farmers preventing them to send it overseas.
WHERE TO GO
COLORADO SPRINGS: 2605 Preamble Point, Colorado Springs, CO 80915; ¼ mile east on Constitution from Powers.
PUEBLO: 100 Greenhorn Drive, Pueblo, CO 81004.
Here’s what neighbors attending the distribution need to know:
• Care and Share will be distributing food starting exactly at 12 p.m. lasting until 4 p.m. Neighbors will not be allowed to arrive early. There will be plenty of food.
• It is a drive-thru style distribution. Volunteers and staff will load food directly into vehicles.
• Neighbors will be asked several self-declared questions upon arrival, such as household size and income eligibility.
• Care and Share encourages people to come both weekends
• Fresh produce and staple items will be given out such as apples, grapes, oranges, milk, frozen means, beans and peanut butter.
Care and Share has 380,000 pounds planned for all four distributions, which exceeds the previous distributions of this sort.
About Care and Share Food Bank
At Care and Share Food Bank, we believe that no one should go hungry. Every day, we provide food to our partner food pantries and meal sites across Southern Colorado to serve families, children and seniors in need because well-fed communities are better for all of us. Care and Share is also a member of Feeding America, a national food bank association. Every year, Care and Share distributes more than 18 million pounds of food to 267 partner agencies throughout 31 counties in Southern Colorado.