Dog rescued from burning building in Fountain

Firefighters were able to rescue a dog trapped inside the burning building on June 5, 2023.
Firefighters were able to rescue a dog trapped inside the burning building on June 5, 2023.(Fountain Police Department)
Published: Jun. 5, 2023 at 10:19 PM MDT|Updated: Jun. 6, 2023 at 6:57 AM MDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

FOUNTAIN, Colo. (KKTV) - A dog is safe after firefighters rescued it from a burning building Monday evening.

Firefighters from several agencies responded to the outskirts of Fountain around 7 p.m. after getting multiple 911 calls reporting a shed on fire.

“Callers reported ... seeing a lot of black smoke and flames,” said Lisa Schneider, public safety officer for the city of Fountain.

The structure was engulfed in flames when crews pulled up to the scene at the intersection of Link and C&S roads. Wet weather made even getting to building a challenge.

“The outbuilding is up a hill, and because of all the rain we’ve received recently, it was very difficult forthe fire trucks to get up this hill and get to the fire to start attacking that,” Schneider said.

Two of the fire trucks got stuck in the mud while trying to drive up to the property. Schneider said dump trucks had to be called in to pour gravel over the mud.

“Our Fountain Streets Department was a tremendous help. They brought gravel out and they put gravel out on the road for fire trucks to be able to get to that outbuilding,” Schneider said.

Once crews finally reached the building, they learned a dog was trapped inside.

“The dog has been rescued. The dog is fine,” Schneider said.

No injuries were reported, but the building was destroyed. Investigators are now trying to figure out what caused it. No one was home when the fire started.

Schneider thanked the outside agencies for assisting Fountain firefighters with the blaze.

“We are also grateful for our South Group partners and their hard work on this scene: Hanover, Security, Stratmoor, and Ft Carson Fire Departments,” said Public Information Officer Lisa Schneider.

Crews remained on scene for hours after the fire was knocked down, ensuring that all lingering hotspots were extinguished.