Colorado deputies save 14 dogs from burning trailer

Deputies rescue dogs from a trailer.
Published: Dec. 1, 2022 at 9:33 AM MST|Updated: Dec. 1, 2022 at 11:31 AM MST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

CLIFTON, Colo. (KKTV) - Using baseball bats and axes, firefighters broke open a window to save more than a dozen dogs from a burning camper.

The camper caught fire Tuesday afternoon in a parking lot outside a Denny’s in Clifton.

“Upon arrival, deputies could see white smoke coming from the top of the camper and sounds of whining dogs in distress could also be heard from the outside,” the Mesa County Sheriff’s Office said.

“Deputies immediately took action to rescue the 14 dogs locked inside.”

After breaking the window, body camera shows the deputies pulling dog after dog to safety. (Warning, the below video may be distressing to some viewers.)

Three of the dogs were unconscious from smoke inhalation, but firefighters were able to resuscitate them after giving them CPR and supplemental oxygen.

“After approximately 20 minutes of care, all three previously mentioned dogs became responsive and were able to walk around,” the Clifton Fire Department said.

Some of the dogs including a pit bull that suffered second-degree burns were taken to an emergency vet for treatment. Several of the dogs were unharmed, and a nearby store provided kennels for them to wait in while firefighters extinguished the blaze.

The Clifton Fire Department said Thursday that all of the dogs had survived except for one that sadly got away and was hit by a car.

One deputy suffered a burn to his hand but was treated on site.

The fire remains under investigation, but it’s believed a propane tank in the camper started the fire.

Clifton is in western Colorado near Grand Junction.