Hundreds come to celebrate hippo’s 1st birthday at the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (KKTV) - July 20 marks the first birthday for Omo at the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo! Hundreds of people flooded Water’s Edge to celebrate Omo Wednesday. “I feel like a proud hippo Dad,” says Lead Animal Keeper Philip Waugh.
The hippo has been part of Water’s Edge at the zoo and the public is invited to celebrate the little one’s time in this world with several activities on July 20:
- 10 a.m. to noon - Visit the zoo’s docent booth with animal biofacts to learn more about the natural world.
- 10 a.m. to noon - Make Omo a birthday card.
- 10 a.m. to noon - Visit Children’s Hospital Colorado’s free photo booth.
- 11 a.m. - Enjoy a hippo keeper talk.
- 11:30 a.m. - Sing happy birthday to Omo and watch a very special guest, a Children’s Hospital Colorado patient ambassador, give a ‘birthday cake’ to Omo and his mom, Zambezi.
Keepers say Omo is a little ball of adventure and love taking care of him! “Some of his favorite things to do include wallowing. Recently we’ve seen him laying down in muddy puddles and sort of rolling around. He’s even been chewing in the mud a bit. We think he might be teething some just like some human babies do so he might have some test coming in. So he’s been chewing on some hard objects you see around the zoo like boulders and logs,” says Waugh.
Copyright 2022 KKTV. All rights reserved.