Advertisement

State Department confirms American among those killed in Russian attack on Ukrainian city

Published: Mar. 17, 2022 at 1:03 PM MDT|Updated: Mar. 17, 2022 at 2:19 PM MDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

WASHINGTON (KKTV) - Another American citizen was killed in a Russian attack as the siege on Ukraine continues.

Chernihiv police said on Facebook there was a heavy artillery attack on the city and a U.S. citizen was among the civilians killed. U.S. Sec. of State Antony Blinken confirmed the death in a press briefing, but stated, “I don’t have any more details for you than that.”

This is at least the second confirmed U.S. citizen to be killed in the Ukraine/Russia war, the first being journalist and filmmaker Brent Renaud, who was killed after Russian forces fired on his vehicle last week.

Just one day after Renaud’s death, two foreign journalists working for American network Fox News were killed in a similar attack on their vehicle. A third Fox reporter was injured and at last report Thursday remained in the hospital.

It’s unknown who the latest victim was and what business they had in Ukraine. Chernihiv has been State Department spokesperson told CBS News the death occurred Thursday.

“We offer our sincerest condolences to the family on their loss,” the spokesperson said. “Out of respect to the family during this difficult time, we have no further comment.”

Chernihiv has been battered by Russian forces for weeks as stalled troops try to advance on eastern Ukraine. The last 24 hours alone have seen 53 people brought to city morgues.

More coverage on the war can be found here.

Copyright 2022 KKTV. All rights reserved.