Police: Fireworks catch fire at Springs storage facility; blaze damages 50+ units
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (KKTV) - Police have one person in custody after they say he accidentally started a fire inside a storage facility Sunday.
A lieutenant tells 11 News the suspect had a stash of fireworks inside his storage unit, and while working on something entirely unrelated late Sunday morning, inadvertently lit the fireworks on fire.
From there, the fire spread from unit to unit, damaging eight in all.
“The reason why eight units [were impacted] is because they all share common walls and there’s not fire stops between them,” said CSFD spokesperson Capt. Michael Smaldino.
Another 50 units -- possibly as many as 100 -- have smoke damage, firefighters said. Anyone who believes their storage unit may have been affected is asked to not just show up at the site, but to call the storage company.
The fire was reported at Securecare Self Storage off South Academy near Airport Road just after 11 a.m. It took firefighters less than 25 minutes to get the fire out.
Though the fire is considered an accident, the man suspected of starting it will face arson charges.
Copyright 2021 KKTV. All rights reserved.