House fire in Colorado Springs started by a grill fire that got out of control
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (KKTV) - Investigators believe a house fire in Colorado Springs Thursday night was sparked by a grill fire that got out of control.
At about 8 p.m. crews were called to a home along Chesham Circle. The neighborhood is just west of Centennial Boulevard and south of Garden of the Gods Road on the west side of the city. According to firefighters at the scene, no one was injured but multiple people will be displaced following a lot of damage to the back of the house.
The Colorado Springs Fire Department wanted to remind the public of their BBQ Safety tips:
-Charcoal chimney starters allow you to start the charcoal using newspaper as a fuel.
-If you use a starter fluid, use only charcoal starter fluid. Never add charcoal fluid or any other flammable liquids to the fire. Keep charcoal fluid out of the reach of children and away from heat sources.
-There are also electric charcoal starters, which do not use fire. Be sure to use an extension cord for outdoor use.
-When you are finished grilling, let the coals completely cool before disposing in a metal container.
Liquid propane gas grills
-Check the gas tank hose for leaks before using it for the first time each year.
-Apply a light soap and water solution to the hose. A propane leak will release bubbles. If your grill has a gas leak, by smell or the soapy bubble test, and there is no flame, turn off the gas tank and grill. If the leak stops, get the grill serviced by a professional before using it again. If the leak does not stop, call the fire department.
-If you smell gas while cooking, immediately get away from the grill and call the fire department. Do not move the grill.
Top 5 tips
-Propane and charcoal BBQ grills should only be used outdoors.
-The grill should be placed well away from the home, deck railings and out from under eaves and overhanging branches.
-Keep children and pets at least three feet away from the grill area.
-Keep your grill clean by removing grease or fat buildup from the grills and in trays below the grill.
-Never leave your grill unattended.
Copyright 2021 KKTV. All rights reserved.