Firefighters contain duplex fire near downtown Colorado Springs
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (KKTV) - Two people are displaced after a fire damaged a duplex east of downtown Colorado Springs late Sunday morning.
A bystander called 911 after seeing smoke drifting out of the house just before 10:30 a.m.
“Our crews arrived at 10:31 with a four-minute response time to this address, and once we got on scene our crews did call it a working structure fire, as they saw quite a bit of smoke coming from the house in the attic,” said CSFD Lt. Joey Buttenwieser.
The fire started in one half of the duplex, eventually spreading into the attic and over into the other side of the duplex. One of the occupants told 11 News he was cooking when he realized a fire had started. He and his neighbor were able to escape safely.
A neighbor passing by the house was worried kids were inside and ran in, Buttenwieser said.
“There was a bystander that was driving by, a neighbor that went into the house. He thought that maybe there was kids inside and had gone inside to look. ... We want to strongly caution anyone driving by, when you see a house fire, that we don’t want those other potential rescuers, bystanders, to also become victims. So just some caution on that.”
Firefighters had the blaze contained in under an hour.
“We were able to get a majority of the fire in the main part of the house knocked down quickly, but then also we had some fire that was in the attic space. That took us a while to extinguish and then confirm that that it was not spread any further,” Buttenwieser said.
Both people living in the duplex will be displaced.
“The occupant, both occupants of the main residence and the subresidence, will be displaced tonight due to the amount of fire damage and also we will have to be shutting down the utilities to the home due to the damage.”
The cause of the fire was described as an accidental cooking fire.
Copyright 2021 KKTV. All rights reserved.