Mistrial declared in trial for Colorado man accused of killing teenage son, new trial scheduled to start in January

Published: Nov. 9, 2020 at 1:13 PM MST|Updated: Nov. 9, 2020 at 8:47 PM MST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

LA PLATA COUNTY, Colo. (KKTV) - The trial for a man accused of killing his teen son and hiding his body in the wilderness has been declared a mistrial because of concerns over COVID-19.

A Colorado courts spokesperson announced the mistrial decision this week on social media, with the order attached.

The Colorado courts spokesperson clarified the mistrial order for Mark Redwine on social media and wrote, “defense counsel filed a motion stating that part of the defense team is experiencing COVID symptoms (test pending) and asked for a mistrial. After deliberation, Judge Wilson granted the motion.”

During a setting conference on Friday a judge declared a new trial date for Jan. 25 at 8 a.m. In addition, a status conference will be held on Jan. 5 to double check that everyone is healthy and can participate in the trial.

The murder case against 58-year-old Mark Redwine has been years in the making, starting nearly eight years ago when his son disappeared while on a court-ordered visit to Redwine’s Durango-area home. Redwine told law enforcement he ran errands on the morning of Nov. 19, 2012 and returned to an empty home four hours later. Hundreds of people assisted in search efforts in the weeks following -- efforts that were soon put on hold when winter arrived.

Seven months later, Dylan Redwine’s remains were found off Middle Mountain Road, a U.S. Forest Service road that winds through the San Juan National Forest, starting near Mark Redwine’s home in the Vallecito Lake area. The road is inaccessible during La Plata County’s snowy months.

Dylan was just 13 years old when he died.

From the start, Mark Redwine maintained he was innocent, but law enforcement later said there were red flags based on “inconsistent statements” and his behavior during the investigation. He was officially named a person of interest in 2015 and formally charged in 2017.

11 News spoke with the mother of Dylan, Elaine Hall, over the phone just hours after the mistrial was announced.

“We’re all very frustrated,” Hall explained. “It has been eight years this month since Dylan went missing and it took us five years to get an arrest made and now we are three years into this and still [we] have no resolution and not our opportunity to go forward in trial.”

With the setting conference scheduled for later this week, Hall is left waiting again.

“It makes me feel as victimized as I did in 2012 when Dylan went missing,” Hall stated. “I feel more helpless now than I did then. At least then I was searching... we were doing something. Now I can’t do anything. It’s a very helpless-hopeless feeling.”

Hall isn’t giving up hope for justice.

“For all those who support us and support Dylan, we appreciate your tenacity and y’know your kindness to us,” Hall said. “We’re not giving up. This is not going away.”

Copyright 2020 KKTV. All rights reserved.