The official Rawlings release announcing each league’s 2013 Gold Glove Award winners is attached. Below are some facts associated with Nolan Arenado and Carlos Gonzalez being awarded with Gold Glove Awards.
· 2013 represents the fourth time that multiple Rockies have been awarded a Gold Glove in the same season. In 2001 and 2002 Todd Helton (1B) and Larry Walker (OF), and in 2010 Carlos Gonzalez (OF) and Troy Tulowitzki (SS), were each awarded Gold Gloves in the same season as their teammate.
· Nolan Arenado is the first Rockies rookie to win a Gold Glove Award in franchise history.
· Arenado is the 10th Rookie, and second rookie third baseman, in Major League history to be awarded a Rawlings Gold Glove since the award’s inception in 1957. Below is a list of the rookie Gold Glove Award winners:
Frank Malzone, 3B, BOS, 1957
Ken Hubbs, 2B, CHC, 1962
Tommie Agee,OF, CWS, 1966
Johnny Bench, C, CIN, 1968
Carlton Fisk, C, BOS, 1972
Fred Lynn, OF, BOS, 1975
Sandy Alomar Jr, C, CLE, 1990
Charles Johnson, C, FLA, 1995
Ichiro Suzuki, OF, SEA, 2001
Nolan Arenado, 3B, COL, 2013
Arenado is the first Rockies third baseman to be awarded with a Rawlings Gold Glove, and the fourth infielder. He joins Todd Helton (first base; 2001-02, 2004), Troy Tulowitzki (shortstop; 2010-11) and Neifi Perez (shortstop; 2000) as Rockies infielders to be awarded a Gold Glove
· This is Carlos Gonzalez’s third Gold Glove Award, as he also was awarded in 2010 and 2012.
· Gonzalez is one of two Rockies outfielders to have been awarded a Gold Glove. Larry Walker won five Gold Gloves as a Rockies outfielder (1997-99, 2001-02).
· The Rockies have now had at least one Rawlings Gold Glove Award winner in each of the past four seasons (2010-13).