COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – Colorado State sophomore running back Kapri Bibbs has been named Mountain West Offensive Player of the Week, while Nevada junior linebacker Jonathan McNeal and senior punter Chase Tenpenny earned MW Defensive and Special Teams honors, respectively. It is the second-straight MW weekly accolade for Bibbs, while McNeal and Tenpenny earn their first career awards.
OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
KAPRI BIBBS, COLORADO STATE
Sophomore, Running Back, Plainfield, Ill./Snow College
· Bibbs ran 38 times for 291 yards and six touchdowns in Colorado State’s 66-42 win at New Mexico.
· The 291 rushing yards are the third-most in a single game in program history, tied for third-most in a single game in MW history and tied for the sixth-best rushing performance among FBS players this season.
Bibbs’ six rushing touchdowns are the most in a single game in CSU history and the most by an FBS rusher this season. Furthermore, the six rushing touchdowns equals the Mountain West record set by Nevada’s Stefphon Jefferson on Sept., 22, 2012 at Hawai’i.
· The 38 rushing attempts and six rushing touchdowns set a sophomore class Conference single-game records.
· The 38 carries ties Bibbs for seventh-most in a single game among all FBS rushers this season.
· Saturday marked Bibbs’ fifth-consecutive game with at least three rushing touchdowns and his sixth of the season. Bibbs is now one of four FBS running backs to rush for at least three rushing touchdowns in six games in a single season since 2000. The last FBS running back to accomplish this feat was current Denver Bronco Monte Ball, who did it for Wisconsin in 2011.
DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
JONATHAN MCNEAL, NEVADA
Junior, Linebacker, Los Angeles, Calif./Santa Monica CC
· Recorded a career-high 15 tackles (six solo) in Nevada’s 38-16 win over San José State.
· Recorded a sack on third down with the Spartans in Wolf Pack territory. The lost yardage forced the Spartans to settle for a field goal.
· Helped the Wolf Pack hold the Spartans without a point in the second half.
SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYER OF THE WEEK
CHASE TENPENNY, NEVADA
Senior, Punter, Oskaloosa, Kansas/Fort Scott CC
· Punted four times for a 51.2 average with a long of 56 yards, and did not yield any punt return yardage.
· Two of his punts were downed at the San José State 6-yard line.
· His 51.2 yards per punt average is the seventh-best single-game average in school history.
· Served as the holder for five successful PATs and a 44-yard field goal.
KKTV firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKTV 11 News.
If you believe that any of the comments on our site are inappropriate or offensive, please tell us by clicking “Report Abuse” and answering the questions that follow. We will review any reported comments promptly.powered by Disqus