Falcons Drop To 0-13 In MWC

By  | 

Colorado State ended 19 games of futility on the road in conference play Saturday. Air Force suffered a 14th consecutive loss.

Guard Marcus Walker scored 20 points as Colorado State and some stingy defense down the stretch and ended the Rams' losing streak with a 71-66 victory over Air Force Saturday.

''This was just a matter of us needing it,'' Colorado State guard Marcus Walker said. ''We needed it bad.''

Ram coach Tim Miles said he was relieved the streak of road conference losses was over.

''I didn't like dealing with, it was wearing on the kids and now it's over,'' Miles said.

Andre McFarland added 13 points for Colorado State (9-18, 4-9 Mountain West), which last won on the road in conference play on Jan. 17, 2007, at TCU. Andy Ogide had 10 points for the Rams, who also snapped a three-game losing streak.

''The coach didn't say a thing about the streak, but you see something was bothering him when we got into the huddle,'' McFarland said. ''He was just fired up.''

The Rams had dropped the previous six games they played at Air Force. They last won here on Feb. 25, 2002.

Andrew Henke led Air Force (9-17, 0-13) with a career-high 29 points. He had 23 points at the half, the most by a Falcon player in a half since Lamoni Yazzie had 26 in the second half of a game against Liberty on Dec. 22, 2001.

''He was in a zone,'' Air Force coach Jeff Reynolds said of Henke.

But the next-highest Air Force scorer was Evan Washington's with nine points. The Falcons' home losing streak increased to eight. They last won at home Dec. 28 against Dartmouth.

Washington, ended the first half with a 40-foot, 3-pointer at the buzzer to pull the Falcons to within 41-38, giving Air Force its first lead. Less than three minutes into the second half, Air Force led 56-51 on two free throws by Matt Holland with 10:58 left.

Henke buried his sixth and final 3-pointer of the game with 8:28 remaining to put Air Force up 61-55. But the Rams dug in and Henke, 8-for-10 shooting and 6-of-7 on 3-pointers, never scored again.

''I don't know why that happened,'' Henke said. ''I missed a couple.''

Arin Dunn tied it at 61 with a 3-pointer, but the Falcons regained the lead, 63-61, on two free throws by Anwar Johnson with six minutes to go. They didn't score again until Washington's 3-pointer from the right corner with 56 seconds left, pulling Air Force within 69-66.

Following a timeout to set up a 3-pointer, Holland got the ball. His shot barely missed.

''It was a designed play,'' Reynolds said. ''We got an open 3 and our guy that is a good shooter, is just not making shots right now.''

Dunn secured the rebound and sealed the win with two free throws.

''We had opportunities,'' Henke said. ''Shots were in and out, but we couldn't get a shot to drop.''