Peyton Manning Introduced As Broncos' New No. 18

By: KKTV/AP
By: KKTV/AP

Peyton Manning will be wearing number 18 for the Denver Broncos next season. He was introduced to the media just hours after signing a five-year, $96 million contract.

Manning, who has won a Super Bowl and is arguably one of the greatest quarterbacks in the history of the NFL, instantly makes the Broncos a contender in the AFC.

Manning had narrowed his choices to the Broncos, Tennessee Titans and San Francisco 49'ers but reports surfaced Monday that he had instructed agent Tom Condon to negotiate a deal with Denver.

Manning has not played since the 2010 season after sitting out 2011 with neck injuries. He's had at least 3 surgeries, and maybe a fourth, to correct a bulging disk that was pressing on the nerves and clean up some bone spurs.

"I'm not where I want to be," Manning said at the press conference Tuesday afternoon. "I want to be where I was before I was injured. There's a lot of work to do to get where we want to be from a health standpoint."

The good news, according to CBS4 Medical Editor Dr. Dave Hinda, is that the surgeries worked. Manning is able to throw hard and often.

The addition of Manning could well lead to the trade of Tim Tebow, who energized the Broncos in leading them to the playoffs last season despite his uneven play.

"The toughest thing about this whole thing is Tim Tebow, because of what I think about Tim Tebow," Broncos VP John Elway said Tuesday afternoon.

"I know what kind of player Tim Tebow is, what kind of person he is, what an awesome year it was," Manning said. "If Tim Tebow is here, I'm going to be the best teammate. If other opportunities are presented to him, I'm going to wish him the best."

Sources also report that former Colts center Jeff Saturday is scheduled to meet with the Denver Broncos now. Saturday had plans to visit Green Bay and Tennessee.

• by R Location: Colorado Springs on Mar 21, 2012 at 10:27 AM
    At least Colorado doesn't have rename something for Peyton. The town of Peyton is already named. By the way I am a Steelers fan.
  • by Joe Location: COS on Mar 21, 2012 at 06:29 AM
    'Neck,' Manning? Really? Is that the best the Stinko's could do? Snicker...
  • by Debbie Location: Pueblo on Mar 21, 2012 at 05:45 AM
    You guys are excited about $1000 a day winning lotto ticket, Peyton Manning is now making $53,698.63 a day for the next 5 years. I am so glad that Tim is a Bronco, and has brought such a positive roll model to us all.
  • by @T Location: colorado springs on Mar 20, 2012 at 06:34 PM
    Right On.
  • by @T Location: colorado springs on Mar 20, 2012 at 06:33 PM
    Right on.
  • by daniel Location: colorado on Mar 20, 2012 at 06:23 PM
    I think signing Mr. Manning is risky.If his neck is healthy and help the broncos win the SB then Mr. Elway looks like a genius,but if he's not then ... Mr. tebow will be fine wherever he is. He is already a SB winner with his faith.
  • by Jay Location: Colorado Springs on Mar 20, 2012 at 06:20 PM
    Hey Johnnyboy..... You always think that all your problems will be solved with a QB... In the last 2 years you went through 5 QBs..... Your judgement in selection sucks!!!! I hope you will invest in a O-line this offseason because Peyton needs 10-11 seconds in the pocket!!!!! Elway is a moron
  • by T Location: Colorado Sprrings on Mar 20, 2012 at 04:59 PM
    So disgusted by John Elway. Where would his career be if Reeves had bounced him out after 6 months of play? John boy seems to have forgotten about the 12 years we Bronco fans suffered while he found his stride.
  • by C* on Mar 20, 2012 at 03:53 PM
    Win or lose - I'm a Broncos fan and always will be. I just wish they'd get rid of those ugly orange uniforms!
  • by seen it before Location: cs on Mar 20, 2012 at 03:53 PM
    too bad for pey pey, the first time he gets nailed by some 375lb dude with a grudge pey pey will be unfortunately crippled..he should ( pey pey ) be able to buy the best wheel chair in town
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 143326096 - kktv.com/a?a=143326096