Police have warrants to arrest two students they say had a plan to shoot students and teachers at Trinidad High School.
Trinidad police say they received a tip Thursday that a 15-year-old boy was making threats about "shooting up" Trinidad High School.
When police talked to the boy, he told them he didn't make the threats. But when officers talked to other students and teachers at Trinidad High School, they learned the boy did in fact make the threats. They say they also learned there was a plan with a 16-year-old boy to shoot students and teachers at Trinidad High School after the winter break.
“I would like to commend our school resource officer for following up with every lead in this case,” said Chief Charles Glorioso. "His thorough investigation uncovered the threats and put a halt to any plan made by these students.”
Three Trinidad schools were put on lockout status for almost four hours because of the threat.
According to acting superintendent George Dasko, between 8:30 and 9 a.m., Trinidad High School received word of the possible threat and all three schools in the district went on lockdown status.
The lockdown status at all schools was changed to "lockout" while police interviewed the 15-year-old.
Dasko says the schools were taken off lockout status at 12:30 p.m.
Officers say they learned the 15-year-old had been bullied and had made statements that he idolized the shooters at Columbine as well as the Aurora theater shooter.
Both teens will be charged with interference with school-credible threat and inciting destruction of life or property. Their names are not being released because of their ages.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.