Hooked - (Stacia Naquin)
Updated: 10/11/2013 - I'm SO CLOSE to being able to do a pull-up. So my trainer introduced something new into my training.
A dangerous--but popular--game among teens and tweens took a tragic turn over the weekend.
District 20 confirmed that a freshman died over the weekend while playing the "choking game," a means of getting high by strangling oneself or another using a rope, scarf or some other option. The activity appeals to kids because it leads to a temporary high, but it also cuts off blood and oxygen from the brain, leading to serious injury or even death if strangulation is prolonged.
The district released a statement from the parents of ninth grader Sean Hill. Sean attended Discover Canyon
It is with deep sadness and heartfelt sorrow that we inform you that one of our 9th grade students, Sean Hill, passed away unexpectedly this weekend. We have extended our support to Sean’s family, and we are honoring his family’s respect for privacy at this time by only releasing information that they have approved. Out of sincere care for you, Sean’s parents have given us permission to share that Sean died accidentally while experimenting with what’s commonly referred to as the “choking game,” and they have asked us to encourage you to please make safe decisions. Sean’s family will notify us about a memorial service, and we will keep staff and students informed as the family requests. DCC counselors and other crisis team counselors from Academy District 20 are available in the library today to help you during this difficult time. Please let your teacher know if you need to speak to someone, and a crisis team member will be available for you.
At this time, the district is not commenting further.
For parents concerned that their children may be playing the choking game, the CDC released the following warning signs:
-Discussion of the game, including other names for it, such as "pass-out game" or "space monkey"
-Marks on the neck
-Disorientation after spending time alone
-Ropes, scarves, and belts tied to bedroom furniture or doorknobs or found knotted on the floor
-The unexplained presence of dog leashes, choke collars, and bungee cords.
KKTV firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKTV 11 News.
If you believe that any of the comments on our site are inappropriate or offensive, please tell us by clicking “Report Abuse” and answering the questions that follow. We will review any reported comments promptly.powered by Disqus
Posted: 08/06/2013 - Even if you don't plan to workout on your vacation, you may be surprised at the calories you're burning without even trying!
Updated: 06/18/2013 - We did a quick helicopter tour of the Black Forest burn area. Someone asked why the video looks shaky.
Updated: 05/20/2013 - Two weekends left to catch one great show!
Updated: 05/14/2013 - I'm still focused on meeting my goal of doing a pull-up. And I'm almost there! But I'm always getting this question: