UPDATE: School District 49 Cuts Superintendent, Three Others

By: KKTV 11 News Email
By: KKTV 11 News Email

Falcon School District 49 board members announced Wednesday that they are getting rid of the superintendent position, and three other top spots.

In a news conference Wednesday afternoon, the district said that they are reorganizing with a "new innovative initiative."

Superintendent Bradley Schoeppey is leaving his position June 30 before his contract ends, as part of a buyout.

"I want to be a superintendent. I want to be a superintendent over all those things and this plan doesn't allow that," said Dr. Schoeppey
The district also is cutting three administrative positions in addition to the superintendent position. The cost to the district of the contract buyouts will total $1.1 million.

Also being eliminated from the district organizational structure are Chief Information Officer David Bond, Director of Human Resources Mark McPherson, and Chief Financial Officer Joleen Schaake. Those jobs will be eliminated.

Some parents told 11 News Wednesday that the plan sounds like more uncertainty for the district.

"I've got two kids in the district now, and I'm scared about what the future's going to bring for their education," said Cindy Halsey.

"I want to know why?” asked Sheryl Salter, who currently has a child in 4th grade in a D-49 school. “Why are we doing that, what is it going to do for our kids?"

The board says its "Innovation Initiative" will save the district nearly $12 million over the next 5 years.

They say by pushing more of the decision-making away from the district's administration building into the hands of principals and teachers, who can better respond to needs, it will result in student improvement.

"I am not opposed to the innovation plan at all. I think it will be very beneficial in the long run for the district," said Dr. Schoeppey.

The board is still in discussions with Deputy Superintendent Mary Guinn, to see if she will stay on to take on the duties of CEO, a new position created as part of the initiative.

If they can not reach an agreement with Dr. Guinn, board president Dave Martin says the district does not plan to look outside the district for someone to fill the position.

• by anonymous on Feb 4, 2011 at 03:33 PM
    what`s up with the sandcreek high school teacher story and comments? sounds like they have something to hide or they are covering it up or living in denial or all of the above as usual!
  • by really??? on Feb 3, 2011 at 07:31 AM
    you know what the biggest joke in all of this is: they buy out 4 highly qualified people who were a great asset to our district, but they will keep DrQuinn who every teacher and admin wants to get rid of. WHAT IS GOING ON?????
  • by Nichole Location: Colorado Springs on Feb 2, 2011 at 08:22 PM
    Why dosen't d-49 split the district? It's obviously way to large to handle, all the way to Peterson AFB to Peyton and so many different types of issues in each community. D-49 is going to the dogs but its obvious that it can't make any progress with what it has been handed giving the circumstances. D-49 was started as a school district for what was at that time a rual community, and it has since grown uncontrolablly. I am a recent graduate of d-49 myself and while I was in the schools I learned more about d-49's problems when I should have been learning about other things. Its unfortunate that a district cannot solve a problem in an effective way because it is the kids who are paying the ultimate price.
  • by Anonymous on Feb 2, 2011 at 07:16 PM
    At this point doesn't District 11 sound much more grounded as an operation? Go meet their board members, each and every one of them is much more willing to listen to their public and in a kind and friendly way. I'm moving my kids across to their schools next year to a much less arrogant environment. D49 is done with my kids.
  • by Nativedaughter on Feb 2, 2011 at 06:47 PM
    1.1 million to buyout 4 positions? WTH, the cost of "buying out" 4 Defense employees is $60K. The one who negotiated the contracts needs to be in jail for fraud. No wonder our schools are broke despite tax hikes. KKTV needs to do an expose in contract fraud in area school districts. Taxpayers and the kids are being robbed by administrators.
  • by What Ever Location: Falcon on Feb 2, 2011 at 06:26 PM
    Sure you did Missy, let me guess-uphill both ways!!
  • by Concerned Location: Falcon on Feb 2, 2011 at 06:17 PM
    Why are you considering keeping Dr. Quinn? She is another person that has had her contract bought out from previous districts. Google the information. I was introduced to Dr. Quinn at the start of class at my school. She looked me up and down, did not say a word and walked away. If you want the staff and teachers to have a say in the decision making for what is best for their schools, you must be willing to listen. In my opinion this would not better the district but keep it in the same direction you are trying to change. The plan you put out gave Dr. Quinn only the power to oversee special projects. Now you are considering her for CEO. What Changed? There are people in our district that are qualified and know what is best for our schools. Why not incorporate them instead of using people that were asked to leave other districts. I would guess you are not normally asked to leave when you are doing a great job. Please get employee and parent’s opinions before you make this decision.
  • by @zach on Feb 2, 2011 at 05:12 PM
    all D49 schools were closed today, which you actually COULD have known by 6:05am.
  • by @ @james on Feb 2, 2011 at 04:57 PM
    You're kidding right? You are dissing someone's GRAMMAR when you can't even spell GRAMMAR....you're a moron...what was wrong with james GRAMMAR smart guy?...or does this date back to an earlier thread that we sparred on...because this is the james you wanna talk to moron....wow
  • by Kelle Location: Falcon on Feb 2, 2011 at 04:26 PM
    All of you who keep saying that the kids should just walk obviously don't live in Falcon. We are a rural community that doesn't even have sidewalks in most neighborhoods. We also have children who would have to cross 24 to reach their school. We even have children who live up to 15 miles from their school. For many Falcon children, walking or biking is just not an option.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 115080019 - kktv.com/a?a=115080019