New Bill Could Save Parents Money On School Supplies

By: Karen Morfitt Email
By: Karen Morfitt Email

Saving money and sending your kids back to school, the two don’t often go hand in hand. But that might change.

Alyssa Flett has two students, and knows it can be costly.

"As they get older the more supplies they need and the more expensive they get," Flett said.

In 2011, analysts said families could spend hundreds of dollars sending each child back to school.

Now, Colorado lawmakers want to help with the cost. They want to do away with the state sales tax, 2.9 percent, on school supplies for one weekend in August.

Steve Marzulla’s kids are out of school now but he says he can see the need.

"Anything that’s tax free I’m for and families that can save money even for three days could be a huge help," Marzulla said.

It may not sound like much but Flett says, "If you save $10 this year it adds up, year after year. It's 12 years of school.”

We're not just talking pens and paper that would get a tax break. It would also include clothing and computers.

Money these parents say they'll be happy to put back in their wallet.

The bill is very specific on what items would be free of the state tax, you can find them listed in the bill.

• by Parent Location: CO on Jan 17, 2012 at 05:04 PM
    I no longer buy name-brand supplies because of the "sharing" policies of some teachers. Writing names in items does no good when a teacher covers it with a label and gives your supplies to another kid. Also, I no longer send in bulk snacks during CSAP testing as requested because when I did, my own kids did not get a snack at all because they ran out.
  • by Sandra Location: Peyton on Jan 17, 2012 at 09:55 AM
    I think it is a good idea, but I think the state of Colorado could do without sales taxes all together! When I moved here 20 years ago I noticed that Colorado is terrible with managing money, and they still are. They need to learn some lessons from New Hampshire and Delaware. They have no sales tax and they manage fine without it. There are more people here then there.
  • by msim on Jan 17, 2012 at 05:26 AM
    I agree with what many are saying, the socialist attitude of the schools where parents buy supplies for their child yet the kid is made to put them into a bulk bin for all to use is BS! My daughter took 72 pencils to school last year, two months later she came to me and said she needed me to buy her more, I asked where the heck all her pencils were and to ask the teacher and the teacher had told her there were none left...after putting them into a group box. I was so mad, I don't have money to pay for YOUR kids! I have barely enough to pay for mine. And I am from Oregon, we don't have state tax, so it's a rude awakening to shop here in CO.
  • by Lynn Location: Fountain on Jan 16, 2012 at 08:42 PM
    I am from the East coast & we have tax free weekend every year. I have 4 kid's in school and I love it. If you go early in the morning not that crowded. We even have tax free weekend on clothes, shoes and computers. When I first moved here and found out they didn't do it I was so disappointed. I feel the same way about the school supplies being used for everyone. So when I go school shopping I buy half of everything on the list for each student.
  • by my.02 on Jan 16, 2012 at 08:14 PM
    But, I send my kids to a small Catholic school..Isn't that sort of like vouchers? Oh dear!
  • by really?? Location: colo spgs on Jan 16, 2012 at 07:32 PM
    Wow,Black friday for school supplies now?? Let's make it even worse than it already is that time of year!! Saving us a whopping 8 bucks per child? Spend that on gas driving around from place to place cause everything is picked through by August. Great idea!!
  • by Lori Location: Cos on Jan 16, 2012 at 06:29 PM
    Wow again the idiots are out. How would you like the teachers to do it? Have each kid keep track of their own 20 glue sticks? Each kid brings in the same amount. Amazing
  • by Tony on Jan 16, 2012 at 05:32 PM
    Sharing, what a difficult concept. I think this will be great for parents (and teachers who have to pick up the slack for stingy parents).
  • by @Robyn Location: colorado springs on Jan 16, 2012 at 05:11 PM
    Thank God someone is on the same page as me. I never agreed with the school supplies we bought for our son being for the whole class.
  • by Robyn Location: Colorado Springs on Jan 16, 2012 at 04:15 PM
    How about just letting the parents buy materials for their own kids and not supplies for the entire class? I was appalled to find out that the stuff I bought for my daughter ended up in some big community school supply box for the whole class to use. My neighbor was told she had to bring in 2 dozen glue sticks, among other things for her daughter's kindergarten class.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 137447538 - kktv.com/a?a=137447538