Monument Parents Concerned Over Busy Highway

A group of Monument parents are concerned that a busy highway is too close to their childrens' school. They want El Paso County officials to install a school zone.

Monument Academy is less than 30 yards away from Highway 105, where the posted speed limit is 50 mph.

Lisa Weaver has two children who attend the charter school. She is concerned for her kids' safety with the road so close, especially during rush hour.

"With people often traveling up to 60 mph when kids are getting in and out of their vehicles to go to school," said Weaver.

Weaver, along with several other parents, would like the county to get involved and install some safety measures.

"At the minimum, treating like this like a school zone, putting up a guard rail to protect us in case of an accident, possibly putting in a stoplight," said Weaver.

El Paso County Commissioner Darryl Glenn spoke with 11 News, saying he agrees something needs to be done. But the state currently owns the highway, and there's not much he can do.

"Even if we want to do something about it right now, it's still a state controlled piece of roadway," said Glenn.

He tells 11 News the county is in the process of taking over ownership of Highway 105. That should be completed by the beginning of May. Glenn wants to hold a public meeting to get community feedback on what should be done to make the area safer for students.

Highway 105 has raised some concerns for taxpayers before. Officials tell 11 News the state lowered the speed limit to 50 mph after some complaints were filed.

• by Anonymous on Apr 26, 2011 at 04:34 PM
    I will agree with Tweese on that one, but contend that it is lack of traffic enforcement rather than speed limit. I live off Kings Deer where speed limit is 35 and same thing - accidents on both sides of my house. It would be good to see our local police enforcing neighborhood speed limits rather than the Walmart street where there are no houses.
  • by tweese on Apr 25, 2011 at 03:03 PM
    I live right off 105 up the road from MA and there have been to accidents on either side of where I live in the matter of 3 days. The carelessness on this highway is growing as Monument grows and its honestly terrifying to know that someone could end up in my living room or my children's rooms because of the lack of control on the highway. Something needs to be done to slow the traffic down.
  • by MM on Apr 24, 2011 at 04:50 PM
    Important for everyone to remember that the school pick up drop off is NOT on hwy. 105, but rather on an interior access road/drive. The speed of anyone on 105 is irrelevant to the speed of the access road. I agree that the most cost effective solution would be for the school to change their pick up location to something further away from the existing highway. To have parents/kids drop off on the side of the school facing 105 is terribly irresponsible. I agree that the parents should fundraise to purchase a guard rail, just in case, but really the responsible action would be to move the pick up site further away from 105 if that is the concern.
  • by LT Location: Monument on Apr 21, 2011 at 10:30 AM
    No need to be a hater!! If they want to buy a guard rail then the parents at that school should foot the bill. They chose that difficult site and so they need to pay to make it safe. Should not be on the taxpayers! We don't need to slow anything down there any more than it already is!
  • by JM Location: Monument on Apr 16, 2011 at 09:38 PM
    I agree it's irrelavent about the school being built there and I also agree that the children need to be safe, HOWEVER, I don't think a state hwy should be a school zone, I don't think a light is acceptable and I don't think the taxpayers should be burdenned with the cost of anything. If the parents are concerned then start raising the funds to put in a guard rail.
  • by TT Location: Monument on Apr 16, 2011 at 07:22 PM
    This is absolutely poor planning by the school. Further, sending children to this school is a choice. Simple solution, choose another school. Band together and buy a guard rail. But do not force a change on a state highway because of poor planning and your choice.
  • by KP Location: Peyton on Apr 13, 2011 at 08:38 AM
    I agree with other posters who commented the highway was there long before the school. The highway was there over 20 years ago when I graduated from LPHS and the only difference is the amount of traffic. Why the school would've chose this location to build the school is beyond me and why wasn't this issue addressed or confronted when the school was built? I believe kids safety is very important, but I don't believe this is something the taxpayers should be funding. The school should address the concerns.
  • by A Location: Monument on Apr 13, 2011 at 08:37 AM
    Had you read through ALL of the comments you would have seen where the word "yuppy" was used, where the parents of MA were told to "go back to CA and take our kids with us" as well as a comment regarding the number of high end SUV's populated our carpool. As a longtime resident of Monument, I am sad to hear the hatred. These are children and they have every right to be safe.
  • by @A on Apr 13, 2011 at 08:23 AM
    Stop whining! No one said anyone was a yuppy and who cares what you drive, where you're from or if you're a native. If you're so concerned about the rug rats safety, maybe you should talk to the School and maybe have THEM move their pick up, drop off area to another side of the building. The School's do over half the Parents responsibility anyways, I guess this should be no surprise.
  • by Dave Location: Monument on Apr 13, 2011 at 08:10 AM
    People, we are talking about the safety if young children. Whether putting a school at that location was a good idea is irrelevant. The school is there, and the County approved the permits. The children and their parents did not decide the location of their school, so stop blaming them. The school is there and the children need to be safe. I think that the majority of these negative comments are coming from people who like to speed down 105 on their way to I-25. Selfish.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 119735734 - kktv.com/a?a=119735734