Free Breakfasts For Kids in Need Dropped In Colo.

By: AP
By: AP

Colorado lawmakers facing a gaping budget deficit have decided to end free breakfasts for needy children funded by the state Department of Education.

The budget-writing Joint Budget Committee on Thursday decided against spending an additional $124,229 to subsidize the Start Smart Nutrition Program.

The Denver Post reports that the breakfasts will still be served, but that low-income students will be charged 30 cents a meal after March, when current funding runs out.

The breakfast program serves about 2.3 million breakfasts a year to about 56,000 eligible children.

• by KMM Location: Colorado Springs, CO on Feb 1, 2011 at 05:39 PM
    As usual, miss management of funds by the so called wise adults in government means the 'little guy' goes Without and in this case it is literal!
  • by adriel Location: colorado springs on Jan 31, 2011 at 07:32 PM
    i think its sick to take food away from children period. i bet they would have never made that decision if it meant taking food away from there kids whats this country comming to. why dont they take and provide one meal a day for those in prison like child molesters murderers and rapist. they get free room and board and three square meals a day on us the tax payers. well anyways i can go on and on but people like this will burn in hell anyways. hope they sleep well at night goodnight.
  • by John Location: California on Jan 27, 2011 at 07:09 PM
    Great job lawmakers! You still get your free lunch, but those in need do not. How much does your free lunch cost the budget?
  • by Bryan Location: Colorado Springs on Jan 24, 2011 at 09:38 PM
    If we offered every child that goes to school three free meals a day and placed more emphasis on education; welfare and other entitlement programs won't be needed. Why not end the food stamp program and finance meal programs in all schools? I'm certain attendance will increase as well as graduation percentages. If anyone is outraged about free meals for children, they need to look at the waste and abuse in our welfare program! Let's reward America's children for going to school and succeeding instead of perpetuating a system that promotes welfare! For all you "Nay-sayer's," would you rather feed all children for twelve years and possibly do away with welfare altogether or do you insist upon continuing this cycle of welfare recipients passing on the tricks of the trade to their offspring and paying the tab for them throughout their lifetime?
  • by Cindy on Jan 24, 2011 at 04:33 PM
    I think this is fine. I know in our area there are a lot of kids who eat breakfast at school. But honestly I don't think having parents come up with $1.50 a week $6 a month for their kids to eat breakfast at school is to much to ask. Heck you could probably clean out the couch or your car and find enough change to cover that.
  • by Roger on Jan 24, 2011 at 03:47 PM
    Beer 12$ per 12 pack or 1 child breakfast for 2 months do the math. Not be stereotypical, but I am almost certain there is something everyone could live without to meet those costs stop complaining and start evaluating priorities please!!
  • by Jeebz on Jan 23, 2011 at 07:35 PM
    All you people complaining, start up a program together to feed them. There are ways around everything and if you feel this is too important to let go, donate your own money/time, cook their breakfast and serve them, STOP complaining about it. Donate your money and time or shut up!!
  • by cpk Location: cos on Jan 22, 2011 at 05:45 PM
    Maybe there is a way to keep the breakfast for those in shelters or homeless. But for the other ones the parents should pay for their food. I was at Target a couple of days ago and the women in front of me had a son about 4yrs old then an infant in the cart and then she was about 6 months pregnant. They were all dressed nicely in new shoes clothes Coach purse nails done etc. I thought nothing of it until she pulled out a food stamp card to pay for her groceries! This I have a problem with. If she can afford all new clothes and nails and iphone etc she can pay for her groceries. This is a huge problem people want what they can't afford. If I could not afford to have food for my children,my smart phone, nail appointments would be the first to go. You can have a cell phone without haveing a smart phone and the plans are cheaper and would save money!
  • by beth Location: colorado springs on Jan 22, 2011 at 05:31 PM
    It is sad to me to see so many children, babies, our future who have no hope. Been there done that. I was raised on welfare. Had it not been others generosity and help I would have ended up the same way as my mother. But because others helped i saw a better side of life. My husband and I are republicans and we have been blessed to have raised our 4 kids without assistance. My heart goes out though to hungry kids. It is through no fault of their own that the kids are hungry. We who have more can set an example of kindness and love and help these kids reach for a brighter future. I do believe in personal responsibility by all parents, unfortunately a lot of other parents don't. Would it really be asking so much to help a child?
  • by to Anon Location: Colorado Springs on Jan 22, 2011 at 03:45 PM
    Anon, What sense of entitlement? If you haven't noticed, there was a recession. People can't work to put food on the table because there are no jobs out there, ESPECIALLY for those with little to no education. You can pat yourself on the back, because your job was spared. Millions of Americans were not so lucky. Maybe you think your countrymen should starve for that. Good for you. As for me, I don't mind paying taxes if it helps keep people afloat during hard times, or even more importantly, helping feed our children when they are at school. It's funny how this has been happening for decades, but suddenly it's President Obama and those pesky liberals stealing your cash. I grew up poor, and I needed that program. Now I'm making good money and can give back. It's called kindness towards those in need. Try it sometime, instead of thinking only about yourself.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 114360899 - kktv.com/a?a=114360899