Baked Potato Cause Of Fire At Martinez Elementary

To join the conversation on this story and others, "like" our KKTV 11 News Facebook page!

Investigators say someone's lunch was to blame for a small fire at a local elementary school Tuesday, April 23.

It was an unusual sight at Martinez Elementary School as fire engines responded to a fire in a portable classroom. Students and faculty were evacuated inside the main building.

District 11 says the fire was put out quickly.

Thursday, April 25, officials reported that the fire was caused by an over-baked potato. Someone was apparently trying to heat up their lunch when it started the fire in a microwave. The potato was thrown out the window, removing the fire from the building.

Martinez Elementary School is located at the corner of Rangewood and Vickers in Colorado Springs.

KKTV firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKTV 11 News.

If you believe that any of the comments on our site are inappropriate or offensive, please tell us by clicking “Report Abuse” and answering the questions that follow. We will review any reported comments promptly.

powered by Disqus
KKTV 520 E. Colorado Colorado Springs, CO 80903 Office: (719) 634-2844 Fax: (719) 632-0808 News Fax: (719) 634-3741
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 204380051 -
Gray Television, Inc.